Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Is the solution (for me to get rid of this error) to update nvidia or to upgrade my RAM to 512?
BTW, how do I lower it to 32 mb?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 07-14-2004, 09:12 PM   #12
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Maybe you have received a virus on your computer??
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren:
Maybe you have received a virus on your computer??
No, it's definately not a virus. I used to get this a while ago (very occasionally), but now (usually when I'm watching a Music Video on my computer) it crashes often.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 07-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #14
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

768 megabytes and 2.4 gigahurtz, it's a beast considering it's size. Ati Raden 9700 w/ win xp. Get that and you have no problems in terms of memory.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #15
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Intrepid, I would leave it at 64MB unless your video card has less than 64MB on board. There has been a lot of discussion on the correct settings for this, but I've personally tested this setting with a 64MB, 128MB and 256MB video card and seen no benefits to changing from the default 64MB. With 256MB you might want to try going to 32MB, it might speed things up a tad. If you do, let me know how it turns out.
Thanks, i will
why is it that changing the appature down improves peformance? i would have though that increasing it would be better, i'll test it, i don't have my computer right now, but i'll have it in a couple of days.
thanks again
Old 07-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #16
Animal
Gold Dragon

With a 256MB video card, there really isn't anything that will use the entire 256MB for textures, but depending on the app, they still may to attempt to use the Apperture. It's much faster for the video card to render using onboard memory rather than having to wait for information to come accross the AGP bus from system memory.

Like I said, I doubt it will make a difference, especially with 1GB RAM. Your system and video memory are identical to my setup and I'm currently using a 32MB apperture.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #17
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Is the solution (for me to get rid of this error) to update nvidia or to upgrade my RAM to 512?
BTW, how do I lower it to 32 mb?
Lowering your apperture to 32MB really isn't a very good solution either, you're best of to leave it at 64MB and go get another 256MB or 512MB stick of RAM.

Also, VulcanRider suggested that you update your video card drivers, which you should do. It's possible they're corrupted. Head over to the nVidia website, get the latest driver for your video card and install it using their recommended installation procedures.