Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-14-2004, 04:50 AM   #11
Grojlach
Zartan

Oh, and here's some interesting trivia on Woody Guthrie's This land is your land (the song that was used for aforementioned flash video) that I found hilariously ironic, and actually managed to weave into an 10/10 essay.

Quote:
So what can one say about what has been called the greatest American folk song ever written? Perhaps you could bring up the fact that the success of "This Land Is Your Land," Woody Guthrie's most famous composition, was drenched in an irony that made even the then-dying Guthrie wretch. Where as the song is frequently cited as patriotic gold and a possible new national anthem, many would be surprised to learn that "This Land Is Your Land" was written as a protest song and bitter parody of "God Bless America" (the original title and chorus was "God Blessed America for Me"). At a time when Irving Berlin's patriotic proclamation attempted to reassure an American public deeply affected by the Great Depression, Guthrie reportedly resented the idea of relying on the blessing of a higher power that had seemingly allowed the American people to be exploited and victimized by landowners and factory bosses. The song's final three verses, conveniently removed from the average music-class songbook, echo this theme. (The most famous of these forgotten verses proclaims: "there was a big high wall there/that tried to stop me/the sign was painted/said private property/but on the other side/it didn't say nothing/that side was made for you and me.") Though there are no actual recordings by Guthrie of the complete song (though a recording does exist with the "private property" verse), it is important for any musical scholar to note their existence — it just might shed light on Guthrie's true intentions. This is a dead-serious, sorrow-filled protest song, a true crying out from a people that were suddenly beginning to question the validity of the American Dream. And while Guthrie's lyrics make no attempt to water down the unbearable hardship, he nonetheless concludes with a quite uncharacteristic twist of optimism ("nobody living can ever stop me/as I go walking/that freedom highway"). Thus, even as the song's character experiences wretched hardships and bitter poverty, he rises up and refuses to be defeated (quite a thematic difference from the glorified tolerance found in "God Bless America."). And though this "complete" version of the song may never be entered in any squeaky-clean Americana music books, it remains a true and bold reflection, a battle cry and tribute to the brave and dedicated Americans who retained their spirits during one of the most outrageously difficult times in U.S. history. Make no mistake — "This Land Is Your Land" is the best song Woody Guthrie ever wrote. And that's saying something.
(source: allmusicguide)
[ 07-14-2004, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
Jorath Calar
Harper

Damn that is a catchy song, I have been whistling and humming it all day, driving pretty much everyone around me crazy.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL Jorath. My favorite line is:

Kerry:
You can't say "Nuclear"
And that really Scares Me
You know sometimes A
Brain can come In Handy

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Ack. Server seems to be down atm, they are working on it. I always worry when I post links here, with so many members (including those that just lurk, which are many), if it may end up crashing the website servers of said links. I.E., "Dang the server is down AGAIN! For the fifth time today! What is going on?!" *Dunno, bunches of people are visiting the site all of the sudden it seems.* "Well where did they frikken come from?!" *hmmmm, let me search the links in the Admin tools.....ahhh....yesss...it seems quite a lot of the hits we've been getting are from some place called Ironworks, posted by some chick called Ladyzekke*. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] DOH!

[ 07-14-2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-15-2004, 04:59 AM   #14
Sythe
Ra

This is hilarious I watched this like half a dozen times now.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
quietman1920

This is Hysterical!!! I was loading it at home last night while playing NWN. My character was chopping through bandits & orcs while a banjo played the intro riff to "This Land Is Your Land" over and over. I kept thinking of the phrase:

"This land was my land.
Now this land's Our land...!"