Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
daan
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I doubt Hannibal sees himself or what he does as evil... Rather, he has a warped view of morality...
Some latin philosofer once wrote in a letter to a friend
( all people who wanted to make a point in that time, or had simply just thought of something spiffy, somehow felt the urge to write it in a letter and send it to someone they knew ) ...
that a man would never do something evil, as it is not in human nature to willfully do something evil, because you know it's wrong. So this meant that any man that had commited a crime, did so under the pretence of it being right.
Ergo, the only way of commiting a crime, was to justify it to oneself.

( and therefore, in order to judge someone, you basically would have to let him judge himself objectively,.. because he had to realize his own error,.. not have someone else tell him that the justified thing was wrong. That just makes you wanting for the other guy to shut the hell up )

In most cases I think, criminals indeed justify their deeds. If they break into a house, the inhabitants are either rich or have insurance

So crime, in truth, doesnt exist. I blame the media and our language for asociating the wrong words, with what really just is a different point of view on things [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.s. No, I'm not one of those people with a " different point of view "... I was joking, dont hunt me down and kill me plz
Old 07-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

Good and evil are relative terms. What is good for one group of people can be evil for another. So it depends on your viewpoint as to whether he would be considered "good" or "evil". But you are right, daan, that most who would be considered "evil" by the vast majority of people do not consider themselves to be evil at all. By their definition, their behavior is "good", or at least not evil. Thus, Hannibal would probably not consider himself evil at all, but the rest of society would define him as evil.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #13
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Lawful evil, he has his own moral code (note his fascniation w/ starling, as well as with the child in the airplane.)
Old 07-18-2004, 01:18 AM   #14
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

He's just Hannibal. He does what Hannibal does. Whether Jaradu agrees with what Hannibal does is all up to Jaradu. No 'good', no 'evil', just different folks doing stuff, for their own reasons.

I really hate the AD&D alignment system... [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2004, 05:16 AM   #15
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
I'm not saying I agree with Hannibal's methods. His methods are much different from how people usually kill people. It's not my place to question his methods, but I do wonder how he is able to do it. If we were all like Hannibal, we would all live in a charming and good-mannered community. A very small community, but good-mannered

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you about the alignment choices. They don't give much room for creativity and people with different views on life.