Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Okay, I'm attending the University of Kentucky in the fall...now, I want to know whether they have any requirements for computers there for entering freshman, like not being allowed to have desktops, or hardware requirements...I can't seem to find it on www.uky.com which seems completely useless. Could somebody help this poor young whelp of a lad figure out just what the h*** he needs to do with his computer money? Pretty please...I'll back you up in every argument from now until the sun explodes...

:::grovels:::

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Dude, you can bring whatever computer you want to college. A laptop is very portable and convenient in the event that you'd like to take it to a class or library, not to mention that it'll save you a lot of space in your dorm, but if you can't afford one, a desktop is okay too. It's up to you how you want to allocate your room.

EDIT: As far as system requirements go, I'm 99% sure that all you need is a fairly recent OS (Win 98SE and up) and an ethernet network card to get online.

[ 07-15-2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 07-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

hmm...well, they never did say anything initially, so I imagine you're right, Arledrian...hmm, well, I guess I'll have to back you up from now on

But some colleges DO have requirements...but I think that most of them SELL their "required" computers (University of Dayton, Ohio does that).

Thanks

Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Probably it's not a REQUIRED computer, but just a cheap, but good computer so the students with loans and stuff still have access to computers and university websites/programs and stuff. They do that all the time (the study Medicine [I'm pretty sure this rough translation is wrong, but it'll give you the impression what I'm talking about] here in Leiden, the Netherlands supports that for instance)
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

They will most certainly have a set of rules and policies that you must adhere to when using the campus intranet to connect to the net, probably directed at adult sites and file sharing.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Most likely, whatever laptop you want will be fine. Make sure you've got a relatively modern OS, as mentioned, and make plans for both wired and wireless network access, if you can. You never know what might be available... now, or three years from now.

And be sure to install Spybot, AdAware, and the other protectors. You'll need 'em...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:57 AM   #7
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

The link you listed took me to a BS page that wanted to make itself my homepage,so mabe that was your problem.The correct site was quite usefull and clear,so here is some of the info and links that should help.
For in the dorms.
http://www.uky.edu/Housing/resnet/stufaq.html

For general on campus computing advice.
http://www.helpdesk@uky.edu

ResNet

ResNet is the name associated with the Internet connection in UK’s residence hall rooms and apartments. Your ResNet service also provides basic cable television. What to Bring
In order to connect to the ResNet network, you should bring the following items with you to campus:

PC or a Macintosh Computer (see the System Requirements section below)
Ethernet Card Installed1
Category 5 Patch Cable
In addition to the above items, the following may also be necessary if you need assistance from a ResNet consultant or if you need to restore your system. It is strongly recommended that you bring these items with you to campus:

Operating System CD-ROM (or System Restore CD from manufacturer)
Drivers for your Ethernet Card
System Requirements2

PC Systems
Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP
Pentium class 200 MHz or faster processor
A minimum of 32 MB of RAM
Machintosh Systems

OS 8.x, 9.x, X
PowerPC Processor or above
A minimum of 32 MB of RAM
http://www.uky.edu/Housing/resnet/.

So they hook you up with cable T.V.( you bring the T.V.) and wired and wireless network in the dorms,as well a fairly comprehensive wireless network all over campus.You could bring a pc, laptop, or pocket pc.The I.T. dept. provides a map of the covered areas.Hope this helps, Seems like a good school.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 07-16-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

SAGERIDDER! You're my hero! That's great! I can buy the doggone computer in peace, now! This really means a lot to me! Thanks!