Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2002, 12:38 PM   #1
daeomer
Manshoon

Spoiler

i don't know if this counts as much of a spoiler but I am fighting melissan and she basically kills me without any trouble at all. I defeated her once after killing the air elementals but after killing the ice elemental she is unstoppable. i tried starting the area over with a new variety of spells.... but now i can't even beat her after the air elementals. HELP with strategies? I am so frustrated!!! This is the toughest encounter i have come across...(well i guess it should be!)

Thanks in advance

EDIT] Just a title edit. Cheers.

[ 09-28-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
daeomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:03 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

What's your party layout?
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
daeomer
Manshoon

Party is as follows:

Archer 28th
Minsc 27th
Jaheira 19 14
Valygar 27
Aerie 21 17
Imoen 23
daeomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Hmm, Imeon and...maybe Jahaeira should be able to summon planetars and Devas. I find these help tremendously. Summons are the key-Mellisan is immune to just about everything and casts stoneskin a lot, so keep hammering away at her/it.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:46 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You may also try casting Wish to rest and rememorise your party. You need high WIS to have a decent chance at getting this option though. Use Potions of Insight to boost your WIS to 18.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Kaltia
Jack Burton

And save after each power-flow fight.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

lucky for you i fought Melissan extensively to find out what can do damage to her, and what cant. The only actual spell that I found that does damage is Prismatic Spray, it will do 20 hp worth of damage. Memorize as many as you can. Also just to get them out of the way if you hit those greater air elementals with flame arrow it will take them down to near death. Your Archer will only be able to hit Melissan with +3 arrows ONLY! Or unless you are using the Firetooth, or Tansheron's Bow. +4 Bullets also do damage to her. Dont even bother with arrows of piercing, acid arrows, arrows of biting, she is completely immune to all arrows except arrows +3(including arrows shot by the Gesen Bow, they will not hit her.) As for the rest of your spells you want stuff like the wharding whip, breach, pierce magic and especially SPELL STRIKE. Even spells like Dragon's Breath or Comet, or Bigby's do ZERO damage to her. So just stick with the stuff that will knock down her defenses. And don't forget your high level abilities, especially critical strike and greater whirwind attack!
Old 09-28-2002, 06:21 PM   #8
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I had a party like that, w/o wish and I managed to take her. Could be cuz of my berserking dwarf psycho

I would say cast the wish spell like Dundee says, and ALWAYS go for the regular elementals before the lords. SOOOO much easier that way.

Just an additional Q. What are M********'s saving throws like?
Old 09-28-2002, 06:26 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Just an additional Q. What are M********'s saving throws like?
Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic: 4
Rod, Staff, Wand: 3
Petrification, Polymorph: 2
Breath Weapons: 3
Spells: 4

Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:12 PM   #10
Mellagar

Another good tip would be to use potions of speed on everyone, along with strength enhancements if you don't already have belts and gauntlets that increase strength. When I attacked her I had everyone who could, memorize summoning spells from monster summoning II to Deva's. Skeletal Warriors are automatically wiped out by her. I know this for a fact because I summoned skeletal warriors for my first encounter and she shouted something along the lines of "Away undead things" and that was the end of that. Mainly summon monsters to keep the creatures 'she' summons busy while you and your guys just gang up and put her in the hurt locker. It worked for me, but I had a different paty than you do. For me I had the following:

1st time I fought her:
Me
Minsc
Jaheira
Anomen
Sarevok
Aerie

2nd time through:
Me
Minsc
Jaheira
Anomen