Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

SPOILERS--DO NOT READ THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN OR ARE ATTEMPTING IMPROVED IRENICUS!!!
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
I need help with this fight. My character is a solo lvl 40 h/o barbarian. Im playing with all the usual mods, difficulty on insane, etc... I am outfitted with the shadow dragon armor, helm of balduran (or vhailors), rings of gaxx and preservation, cloaks of prot +2 or mirroring, improved boots of avoidance/speed. My choice weapons are crom faeyr, soul reaver, vorpal, impaler, dragons breath halberd, and throwing spear +3. My important HLA's are 8 GWW(1 mWW), 4 CS, 3 Hardiness, smite. 10 rages, slayer/ravager change.

So far a scroll of magic prot. with the ravager using smite and GWW HLAs allows me to kill off sarevok and the dragon. After changing back to human form I can easily dispatch the orb and the other beholders, wyverns, and liches. I keep the crom faeyr and cloak of mirroring by dropping them before securing the last tear.

The problem lies here. I can find no way to do any damage to the sword of greed, aside from the Ring of Ram, which only does a minimal amount. I know certain spells can harm it, but being a barbarian i do not have these. I can also find no way to damage to Irenicus, as he has seemingly endless prot from magic weapons (which he does, right?). The presence of the sword also makes it nearly impossible for me to focus on a method to kill him. Any ideas would be welcome.
Lord Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Necklace of Missiles is a way for a fighter to kill that annoying sword.
Maybe Ring of energy too.

Attack Jonny with non enchanted weapons (Tuigan + normal arrows, Slings + normal bullets or even normal flails, ...)
Old 06-29-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

The ONLY way to kill the sword is by magical damage. This means Abi Dalzim`s,Magic Missiles...

So you are stuck more or less.

Kudos goes to you that you come so far. But I think it is nearly immposibel to kill all those things with a solo Barbarian.

Good luck to you!

Edit:if you don`t mind some cheese,you can recharge Ring of The Ram by putting into Bag Of Holding and taking it back out.

[ 06-29-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Oh, I forgot. You can kill the sword with the weapon it has taken from you.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

I dont mind cheese, being that the game itself uses cheese. Like the improved dragons tactic of "corner the puny human and wing buffet till it dies" is CHEESE. A floating sword that I cannot break in half is CHEESE. etc...
Ill try it, but I might need to import the NoM and the RoE. Guess i didnt bother to keep those, didnt think id need them . I was hoping i wouldn't have to import, so ill try the recharge bug first.

If you mean the crom faeyr, it doesnt do any damage to it, ive tried. I drop it before i start the battle, so they cant take it from me, then pick it up as soon as the Irenicus and his fragments teleport away. Maybe your talking about this 3rd item that i read about in the hint files for the tactics mod "Sanchuudoku". Never heard of it or found it myself.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie:
Oh, I forgot. You can kill the sword with the weapon it has taken from you.
Exactly. Cheesily dropping Sanchuudoku on the floor before opening the doors is by far the easiest method for a solo fighter-type to deal with Greed.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

If you ever have Celestial Fury... You will not be able to find Sanchuudoku. Sanchuudoku will find you.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Aaahhh. That sword. Yeah i, um, accidently must have skipped over that encounter (heeeeeelllpp me mommy!).

Leslie you mentioned using normal weapons on Jon. Any normal weapon?, because i recall trying that tactic on mages with PfMW and it didnt work. Maybe im wrong though
Old 06-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

It works, you just have to get through Stoneskin. That's why nothing happens for a few rounds. Do you have feedback enabled ?

Another nice tactic is to use Firetooth Crossbow with normal bolts. They go through PFMW but also inlict fire damage.

[ 06-29-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 06-29-2003, 05:38 PM   #10
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

I wonder. Ive noticed the vorpal sword works wonders on mages with stoneskin. If i were to score a lucky hit on ol jonny? Or would his PfMW block the insta-slaying ability. We shall see.