Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 AM   #1
Sami88
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Which hig level abilities sould i choose first?
I got in my party sorcerer, cleric, paladin and thief...
I heard that you can have all abilities if your characters get enough xp is that true? (I got TDD mod and it's xp cap is level 50 and i got Tob too)
Which should I choose first?
Sami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Planetar,Comet,Dragon`s Breath,Improved Alacrity,UAI (Use any item)...

What ever you think it`s the best for that stage of the game.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The first one your sorc should pick is Improed Alacrity.
Rogues should jump at Use Any Item.
You might want to give your paladin a deva, but nothing beats Greater Whirlwind Attack with Carsomyr.

And yes, with the XP cap remover you could probably get at least one of every ability... The only ones that have trouble are the fighters, because they have so many, and can pick the same one several times. Clerics, on the other hand...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Clerics can easily run out of spells to gain as HLAs. I even had Aerie run out before, and she's chosing from the mage pool as well.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
untouchable
Manshoon

Critical strike is the best.
It isn't that hard to get a fighters attacks per round up to 4 or 5, then add improved haste from a mage. Voila 8-10 attacks per round. Start up critical strike and you have 8-10 critical hits. The best part is THAC0 becomes redundent because the criticals always hit. Add Kai and you have a death bringing munchin.

For fun try playing the game without using and HLA's. It's harder than one would imagine.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:42 AM   #6
Sami88
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by untouchable:
Critical strike is the best. The best part is THAC0 becomes redundent because the criticals always hit.
I disagree--by the time you start getting HLAs, your Warriors already have rock-bottom THAC0 that can plow through almost anything. So, really, the only advantage to getting constant Critical Hits is the screen shake and the potential for double damage--but how often do you run into enemies who are too stupid to wear Helmets? No, I would only suggest Critical Strike as a decent choice for Multiclassed Warriors, whose THAC0 progresses more slowly and never quite reaches "hit-almost-every-time" levels.

Me, I prefer giving my main Tank a big ol' stack of Hardinesses, and my other Warriors a fairly even mix, but concentrating on Greater Deathblows. Also note that even Greater Whirlwind is not completely useless: It's great for those using ranged or 2-handed weapons (and therefore can't reach 5 ApR), or for conserving those precious Improved Haste slots.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Smite is better than critical strike, btw.

I love GWW. Whenever running a party of 2 or 3 characters, if one character is in need (like, is stunned and is dying), then my other character can whip out a GWW and save his/her ass.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote