Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Ground Zero mosque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
As for the mask, he didn't want to be identified. So, no matter how you slice it he was going to look silly.

As for the relevance, it's the broader question of what is religious freedom, and what do we recognize as religion. This community seems to be a bit more enlightened to what the 1st Amendment protects, whereas the kerfuffle over the G.Z. mosque is just boiling over with stupid stupidity of stupidness and stupification.

Lagniappe: Check out this PSA.
Actually, I would say this community is less enlightened, unless they allow other churches to hold services in the Civic Center as well. The city spokeswoman said they have to allow the church members to assemble at the civic center because they are a government entity and the First Amendment requires they be allowed to gather freely.

Funny, I thought the Supremes ruled the First Amendment requires a separation between church and state.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #32
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: Ground Zero mosque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
And I left there so why mention it.
But have you been back? Or lurked? When you left the Oasis, you were missed. Some folks there apparently valued your centrist viewpoints (which, unfortunately, rank as far Left when posted on that forum). The Oasis is still a sea of Right-wing FUD. They still grade each other on the "I'm further Right than you are!" criteria, and the only thing that causes them to temporarily unite is the occasional post by someone encouraging reason, or, Heaven Forbid, humanism. Their constant whine about the porous Texas border makes we wish they would exercise their imagined right to leave the Union. But none of this matters in the LaLaLand of Texas, because if something happens that they don't like, they will just erase it from the history books and teach their children that it never happened.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #33
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
But have you been back? Or lurked? When you left the Oasis, you were missed. Some folks there apparently valued your centrist viewpoints (which, unfortunately, rank as far Left when posted on that forum). The Oasis is still a sea of Right-wing FUD. They still grade each other on the "I'm further Right than you are!" criteria, and the only thing that causes them to temporarily unite is the occasional post by someone encouraging reason, or, Heaven Forbid, humanism. Their constant whine about the porous Texas border makes we wish they would exercise their imagined right to leave the Union. But none of this matters in the LaLaLand of Texas, because if something happens that they don't like, they will just erase it from the history books and teach their children that it never happened.
It's considered very poor form to trash one forum on another, especially when the two share many members. If you don't like Oasis, don't post there, but don't run it down on a different forum.

If you have something to say about it, at least be mature enough to say it there. If you don't like the views expressed, then offer counterviews, like TL did.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
Hindsight
The Magister

It sounds like (right or wrong) EB is just stating an option. I don't feel that's inappropriate.

Maybe I'll have to look at the site itself though..
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
As a truly middle of the road political person, and a member of that forum, I resent your comments. If a topic is too far right, or left, don't comment on it. I learned that many years ago, when I was in school. All that does is start problems, like posts like this tend to do. Welcome to my growing list of people with 0 credibility, however. You may feel free to respond to this post in any way you wish, just know that whatever you say will be summarily ignored. You'll notice that instead of trying to stab you in the back by posting this elsewhere, I posted it here, where you could readily read it. Perhaps you should take notes?

To the topic, no matter how fast, or slow, they are going with the monument, it should most assuredly be finished before they start parcelling off the remaining area around it. This isn't religiously motivated, I care no less for Muslims than I do Christians, seeing as I am neither. This is purely about healing, and until that's finished, raw wounds will be raw, no matter what political games the powers that be want to play with it. This is, afterall, all it is about. Political maneuvering. I don't blame Muslims for what happened there, I blame Al Qaeda, and I probably still can't spell that. However, the government of the City of New York needs to get off their ass and get something done there.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
Arvon
Unicorn

One of the things that is bothersome is the NY wanks disallowed the rebuilding of a Greek Orthodox Church on it's original site across from the Trade Center. I don't have the details, but so much for diversity.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #37
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvon View Post
One of the things that is bothersome is the NY wanks disallowed the rebuilding of a Greek Orthodox Church on it's original site across from the Trade Center. I don't have the details, but so much for diversity.
Not true.

Quote:
""St. Nicholas Orthodox Church has always had and will continue to have the right to rebuild on its original location. The question was whether public money would be spent to build a much larger church at a separate location on the site and ensuring that construction wouldn't delay the World Trade Center further," spokesman Stephen Sigmund [Port Authority] said in a written statement.
So in short, no one is forbidding them to build. They just didn't get the funding they wanted.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

http://www.salon.com/news/911_christ...nd_zero_church

What about the extremist 9/11 Christian Center?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #39
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

He plans to have his center up and running by the New Year? Never heard of anything moving that fast. And I've honestly never heard of the guy before, so I really don't know what he stands for.

There is however a similarly disturbing event occuring down here in Fl, a minister wants to hold an international burn the koran day. All of the reputable organizations I've heard of are against such an event.

Add: Found the article

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 09-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #40
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Just put a Burger King or Micky D's there. Sorted and Americanized.