Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

There is an annoying problem Iīve had with 1st person games. Itīs that whenever I play a game that has a lot of moving graphics (rally/formula games, any 3D shooter..) I start to feel ill after some time. There is no 1st person game I could (intensively) play more than an hour before I simply must throw up [img]smile.gif[/img] The people I know just donīt get this.. the worst experience was deafinitely Descent 2, ten minutes was an absolute maximum. Anyone remember childhood car trips...?

In the end it doesnīt bother me because strategy/crpgīs are what Im interested in. I hope to find fellow dwellers here, would make everyone feel better to know that you are not the only ones who suffer, but Im afraid none of you has this terrible disease. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The end of the rant. Crazy, huh?

[ 11-13-2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 11-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #2
Deathbringer

Well i've never suffered from this but I had a friend that did. He bought himself a flat screen monitor and bam! No more probs. Apparently curved monitor's make it 10 times worse.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:36 PM   #3
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Does the same problem occur on other monitors? Do you experience the same thing playing console games on a television? If it just happens on monitors or with one particular monitor it may be due to the screen refresh rate. Though you don't notice the screen flicker your mind does. The result for some people is that when they are intently focussed on a screen it affects the brain causing headaches, nausea, or in a few extreme cases seizures.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

You are acctually the only person i have heard that has a problem like this. Mabey you could try taking some of those motion sickness pills befor you start your gameing [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] but you never no it might acctually help.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I was one of those types who liked riding about inside of the washing machine when i was young [img]tongue.gif[/img] I don't get the slightest bit motion sick and can play FPS games for hours on end without being phased a bit.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Do you also get that feeling from strobe lights? I can't stay on my feet if I'm somewhere that has those things. Really hate when they sometimes have strobe lights aimed at carnival rides.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:48 PM   #7
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
Does the same problem occur on other monitors? Do you experience the same thing playing console games on a television? If it just happens on monitors or with one particular monitor it may be due to the screen refresh rate. Though you don't notice the screen flicker your mind does. The result for some people is that when they are intently focussed on a screen it affects the brain causing headaches, nausea, or in a few extreme cases seizures.
Iīve played games on several different monitors (never with flat ones though, but will get one somewhen in distant future) and changed the refresh rates too, and they don't seem to make a difference. Itīs never been an issue with video games, might be because Iīve never played 1st personīs with a console. Iīve always thought that the problem comes from a strong sense of "being there" [img]smile.gif[/img] , and it often happens when being a passenger in some vehicle. But maybe not.

DB, good to know that there is someone.

Blind Prophet, that makes sense, but I AINT going to go that low...

Ornery One, well I have some troubles with strobos, true. But you seem to have it much worse. If used in wrong place, they are really annoying.

[ 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 11-14-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

I have exactly that problem - motion sickness to the point of nausea, where I have to actually lay down - but only with CERTAIN ENGINES. No really. But after I got to playing the game daily for a couple of days, it disappeared.

I got motion-sick on: Doom; Quake2-engine games, including Half-Life; and a little with the Build-engine games like Duke and Blood.

I NEVER got motion-sick with an Unreal-engine game, nor with a Quake3-engine game. I personally think it's the way the scenery is moving past you that makes the difference, not speed, because I could speed up UnrealTournament to Turbo (double) speed and never get sick even after almost an hour of hectic deathmatch. Didn't matter whether it was the curved-screen 15" or the flat-screen 17" too.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:36 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

When I used to play FPS games, this would happen to me after extended play - like 3 hours or so. Doom was the worst. Descent too. I didn't have to throw up, but I did get a dizzy headache.