Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 07:48 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Something tells me that should Bin Laden be found to be guilty of this act (and this is NOT confirmed so let's treat the accused as innocent until proven guilty) Russia will play a major role. Putin himself fought in Afghanistan.

Putin backs action based on facts
September 16, 2001 Posted: 6:56 PM HKT (1056 GMT)

By CNN Moscow Bureau Chief Jill Dougherty

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Moscow has moved closer to supporting military retaliation for this week's attacks on the United States, but is stressing action should be taken based on reliable facts.

President Vladimir Putin, in Armenia, said "evil should be punished, but we should not put ourselves on the level of bandits who act surreptitiously, we must operate on reliable facts".

Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said "One cannot rule out any measures, including force, when fighting terrorism."

The head of the FSB, successor agency to the KGB, Nikolai Patrushev, told CNN and Russian television: "Those individuals, those organisations, that prepared this terrorist act should get their deserved punishment. There is no doubt about that.

"At the same time, the measures the United States is developing, in my view, must correspond to international legal norms, the decisions of the United Nations and its Security Council, and must be based on correct information.

He added: "No innocent people should suffer. So any strikes that might be carried out should be specifically targeted and precise."

The FSB chief also conceded the possibility that international terrorist Osama Bin Laden, who he agreed is prime suspect in the U.S. attacks, might have to be killed.

He said usually, when talking about criminals, the aim was to arrest the perpetrator and turn him over to the courts.

However, Patrushev added: "We have experience where when a suspect offers armed resistance, in order to avoid casualties, it is possible to kill him."

Patrushev says Russia did know where bin Laden was, and tried to follow his movements, but because of this weeks events, bin Laden has changed his location.

The FSB says he is still in Afghanistan and the FSB Director said: "We will find out where he is and inform our colleagues."

Ivanov has told CNN that rebels in Russia's own breakaway republic of Chechnya are being funded by bin Laden.

Russia supports calling an emergency meeting of the Group of Eight nations to coordinate efforts in fighting terrorism.

This weekend, the U.S. Undersecretary of State John Bolton will visit Moscow and next week Deputy Undersecretary of State Richard Armitage will meet Russian officials in Moscow.

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 07:51 AM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

We must remember the human rights abuses and state terrorism that russia is conducting in Chechnya though. as its all part of the problem.

Old 09-16-2001, 08:47 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Evil begets evil, and violence begets violence, I'm afraid.

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 11:59 AM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

I see Russia's point - I think Bush is acting too much on just a notion. We don't even know whether Bin Laden is guilty or not. I think the US should sort out the facts first, before any action is taken.

Old 09-16-2001, 02:03 PM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
I see Russia's point - I think Bush is acting too much on just a notion. We don't even know whether Bin Laden is guilty or not. I think the US should sort out the facts first, before any action is taken.
Come on man.

Even if bin Ladin didnt do this in particular, the U.S. has a ton of other stuff to convict him for.

Everything points to him. Its proven that the plane in Penn. was connected to him. Conicdence? I dont think so.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

"You guys way off,you guys kick ass, Live at Buddahkhan, Intenceidy-in-tence-city"
Old 09-16-2001, 02:14 PM   #6
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Come on man.

Even if bin Ladin didnt do this in particular, the U.S. has a ton of other stuff to convict him for.

Everything points to him. Its proven that the plane in Penn. was connected to him. Conicdence? I dont think so.

Okay, he probably is guilty. Believe me, he's my number one suspect too. It's just that I don't like rushing to conclusions only to be proven wrong later. But I'm pretty sure you're right in this.

Old 09-16-2001, 05:47 PM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well the only way to deal with it would be to capture him alive and interogate him as a prisoner of war? After all he has claimed that he is in war with USA.
And he has alot to answer for. And people that the police would like to ask certain questions to, they bring in downtown.. So go get him, bring him downtown and put him on trial!

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-16-2001, 09:18 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

They seem to have so far collected good evidence that certain perpetrators they have arrested lately were affiliated with Bin Laden. I agree, we have to have proof-positive before we can make any retaliations. Guess we will just have to wait and see, sigh...

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 10:06 PM   #9
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

It is a whole new ball game from another's prospective.
Why, in afghanistan, they celebrated a grand "victory" its like when you bombed hiroshima; japan was sad, but you guys felt great!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-16-2001, 10:07 PM   #10
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Well, not really great but you know what I mean.