Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-09-2001, 02:22 AM   #1
DragonEdge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What are the Differences (if any) of playing a Single Character
through BG2 as compared to running a whole party through it? Do
you face less enemy encounters (for example Random Encounters while
sleeping?) And don't you have to reload the game a lot? Doesn't your character
max out very quickly? oh yeah one other thing if anyone knows anything
about typing stuff into a console for a creature creation in BG2 please
email me at sloppysecond@hotmail.com I have played thru BG1 and half of BG2
and all of IWD but have never cheated before.
Old 06-09-2001, 02:37 AM   #2
insomniacau
Elite Waterdeep Guard

check out the cheats section of the ironworks website it will have creature creation codes in there other than that i can't help sorry.

insomniac....
Old 06-10-2001, 01:53 AM   #3
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, some major differences between using a single player game, and using a multiplayer game.

A multiplayer game, where you have 5 or 6 of your own characters ( I recommend 5 of your own, that way you can pick up a NPC character doing a quest and do some NPC character quests also.) is good because you can create and advance your own characters. This will give you better control over what your character classes are, dual classing, what weapons you want to use, etc.
If you use a solo character and play the NPC characters ingame, you are basically stuck with what those characters are. You might have a mage who isn't so hot, or a fighter whos weapon proficiencies are spread out everywhere when you want them in certain places. You might not want a thief/mage in your party, but have to settle with them.

The good points of using a solo character and picking up NPC characters, you will get alot better roleplaying dialogue with them. They have their own personalities, their own dislikes and likes, their own goals and quests, they will talk amongst themselves, to you, to others. Other NPC's react to them where they won't react to a player character you make.
Some NPC characters have unique abilities or skills or items that only they have. You can't get those skills on your player characters, and most of their items you can't use on your player characters. You'll miss out on some NPC character quests that only ingame characters can do.

There is a difference, some like solo, some like multiplayer. My advice, is to play the game the first time SOLO, that way you get to enjoy all the dialogue and roleplaying that goes on. After you have beaten it the first time, then try it again with your own characters. You already know the NPC quests and such, no need for that the 2nd time around. You can just play and see your own characters develop.
The game is actually designed to be more fun with you as the main player, and the in-game characters as your companions. Multiplayer is not recommended for the first time through, you'll miss out on alot of stuff that is fun in the game.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:15 AM   #4
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

Some differences:
I don't know if you mean running one single guy (a one manned "party") or running the game with one generated character and then use the ingame npc's. But I think you mean running a one-man-party, so I'll tell you what I know.
yes, you do level up much quicker with just one guy in your party, since you don't have to share the XP with five more guys. But you don't face less enemies (anyway, it certainly doesn't feel that way!), unless you choose to. So far I have had to reload a lot of times. But that is not much of a problem. With your one-man-party you will discover new tactics/combos to defeat your foes. And reloading only mean you will have to find one more way to defeat that #@"#!lich. In my opinion, a one-man-party is more fun than a six-man-party, especially with the exp. cap removed.