Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Printing from laptop

Is there something on the market you'd recommend to be able to send print commands to my existing printer? I have a work laptop and currently have to load documents onto a USB drive, walk it over to the home PC and load to print. Can I send print commands to my printer with a hardware/software adapter package?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Printing from laptop

Yes, just set up printer sharing in Windows. It's how companies link multiple computers to one printer. Very easy to do via the help menu, or googling for step by step online.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Not sure what you are asking here. It's quite possible to have both computers and the printer on a wireless network, though. You will need a wireless router and the laptop would need to be wireless capable(almost all of them are). Set up the wireless network and you're good to go. The way it would work is you... create the doc on the laptop, send it wirelessly to the desktop, then print from the desktop.

If you want to eliminate the second step (sending from laptop to desktop), then you will need a wireless/bluetooth capable printer.

Hope this helps.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I got a Canon wireless printer for about 100$ Canadian almost two years ago. They can't be too costly these days.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Printing from laptop

We got a wireless printer and it was working perfectly fine; however, the darned thing would not scan to the computer wirelessly, even after I installed the entire software package that came with the printer.

Anyway, just join the printer to your wireless network then add a new printer using its IP address. Sometimes, your printer may stop working but if it does see if it has changed ports to something called a WSD port (and I don't know what that is at this time).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote