Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-04-2002, 11:30 PM   #1
Zanthia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am in the monstary at Burtz. I have read that he is good to practice your pickpocketing and locks/traps skill on his chest.

I have questions about each.

For pickpocketing whenever I try I get a message hey thats my job. What does that mean.

For the chest, how do you practice as when you open it up it is no longer trapped. Do you just disable one device and then back out and retry.

For each of these how many of each do you have to do to raise your skill one point.

I have installed the 1.00B patch which I believe does not affect pickpocketing. I never installed the later patches.

Zanthia

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Zanthia ]

Zanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:04 AM   #2
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Zanthia:

For pickpocketing whenever I try I get a message hey thats my job. What does that mean.

It just means he caught you and is telling you that stealing is his job...it is how he gets his stock (ask him about the Higardi, I think it was, he slips and almost tells you that.)

Practice on Antone in Arnika to get more successful results and throw a point or two into it if you feel like you need to...it will go up as you keep trying. I never tried to steal from He'Li but know that the Priest and Anna are harder targets than Antone.

I am not sure of any tricks to upping trap skills on chests but if there are any, I would bet you'd find them in the "Best Tips" thread at the top of this page. [img]smile.gif[/img] The method you described in your post seems like it would be workable but I never tried it, sorry!
Old 02-05-2002, 02:21 AM   #3
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hi M&Z!

A good idea (or at least: I think this is a good idea): Check (i.e. click the magnification glass) three times when you want to disable a trap. Why three? Well, it trains your Lockpicker better than once, but bores you less than four times... If that's not logical, I don't know what is

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 02-05-2002, 03:05 AM   #4
Zanthia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Moni: Thanks for the info. I just think that is a bit strange about the way they handle pickpocketing failures. I guess I am used to pther games saying it failed and then the person attacks you.

Phillip: Thanks,I will give that a try then.

Zanthia
Zanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Zanthia:
I guess I am used to pther games saying it failed and then the person attacks you.

It depends on who you are PPing when you get caught. Some NPCs will give you a second chance, thereby allowing you to buy them off by giving them gold or an item. Some won't - Antone being a prime example - and will attack you when they catch you stealing from them.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey - every time you "inspect" a chest, you will be working towards upping your Locks skill, so if you keep inspecting it (the magnifying glass) without trying to disarm or open it, your skill will slowly go up (maybe takes like 20 tries or so per point). Each time though you have a small chance of setting off the trap which sometimes opens the chest. So if you really want to pump the skill, inspect chests early on until you make them go off and open by mistake - a little boring/tedious, but you can get your skill level to like 40ish from the chests in the Monastery...
Old 02-05-2002, 04:21 PM   #7
fable
Quintesson

Be sure you highlight the image of your pickpocketer before you attempt to pickpocket. That's because the success at pickpocketing looks at the highlighted character's skill.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote