Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I just found another irritating petition in my mailbox. As if we don't have better things to do then voice our support on fictive scenario's. This latest mail claims that the Brazillian Congress is about to vote on a law that will decrease the size of the tropical rainforest by 50%. Sounds like pure fiction, but I thought it might be smart to get confirmation of this, before I send an angry e-mail in retour. Does anyone know more about this?
Old 01-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Brazilian congress is now voting on a project that will reduce the Amazon forest to 50% of its size. The area to be deforested is 4 times the size of Portugal and would be mainly used for agriculture and pastures for live stock...

All the wood is to be sold to international markets in the form of wood chips, by multinational companies...

The truth is that the soil in the Amazon forest is useless without the forest itself. Its quality is very acidic and the region is prone to constant floods. At this time more than 160.000 square kilometers deforested with the same purpose, are abandoned and in the process of becoming deserts.

We cannot let this happen. Copy the text into a new email, put your complete name in the list below, and send to everyone you know. (Don't just forward it cos then it will end up with rows of >>>'s )
Is that the message? It's entirely true. However, the vote took place some 4-5 years ago. I signed a petition back then...

[ 01-30-2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Then I guess it has been rotating for a very long time. Thanks Willow [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Zero Alpha

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/brazil.htm

i always check snopes to see if its a hoax