Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should beer be sold in movie theaters?
Yes 15 68.18%
No 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2003, 12:25 AM   #31
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Actually you can get really hammered watching a long movie. When the movie The Doors came out we snuck in 2 gallons of liquor. Yep we were f$%^ed up
When someone asks you to contribute to society, I don't think they mean driving home from said movie piss-ass drunk [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 01:51 AM   #32
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

We have theatres here that serve beer. I usually always have one or two when I go. I've never experienced someone being disruptive due to the alcohol. Everyone drinking is an adult. In my experience, the people being disruptive are teenagers who won't be quiet. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The adults who go and drink have already dropped seven bucks a piece on the movie itself, then you figure in snacks and beer - that 's a bunch of money to see a movie. I'm sure after spending all that money for a movie someone is going to not be focused on the movie itself. I'm sure they would rather have used all that cash to pretend they are in a bar and hit on members of the opposite sex. Or start a riot. Or play leapfrog down the aisle. Gimme a break, the beer is there to relax. And in order to get drunk in two hours you would have to be running in and out of the theatre pretty often. I don't think anyone wants to miss half of a movie you've paid for, unless it's Natural Born Killers.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:18 AM   #33
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Sheesh guys, how hammered can you get from a few beers during a movie ? Aren't y'all a little overreacting here ? What are you doing in a cinema anyway.... watching the movie, or look around to see if you can see something that annoys you ?

Obnoxious ? How about the guy two rows in front of you, who's farting all the time ? Or the girl behind you who's picking her nose ?

Just watch the friggin movie... live and let live.
I think you are overreacting to my post. I am neutral on the matter, want to have a few beers? Fine, just dont over do it and make an ass of yourself in the process.

And in a certain way isn't this encouraging drunk driving? Its naive to think everyone will be responsable with there drinking.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-04-2003, 02:34 AM   #34
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
"Oh dear, I finished my last drink just as the movie ended. I'd better sit around for an hour so the booze can work out of my system." Something tells me this is not a likely scenario. People leaving the theater will still be impaired from their drinks. And don't give those sorry disproven excuses about one drink not messing up your driving. Trust me it does, but you're judgment is impaired by the alcohol so you don't even realise how it's affected you. You feel the buzz, but you don't realise how it's messing with judgment and timing.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-04-2003, 03:04 AM   #35
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

*big sigh

Let's begin by saying all the people I have read now that are against this idea severely overrate the effect of beer and/or the people drinking it.
When you go to a movie, you don't go there for the beer, so this means, you won't be drinking more than 4 beers. else you would be missing one half of the movie by getting beers all the time. Second, 4 beers does not get you obnoxiously drunk. To get to that, you need at least 10 beers. In three hours. Furthermore, you guys who are against beer are blaming a very LARGE group of innocent beer consumers for the actions of a SMALL group of aggressive people, who probably have used alcohol in conjunction with another drug. In Holland that's mainly XTC, it gets people aggressive. So, basically 1. in a theater you wont get the chance of getting drunk and 2. those who managed to don't necessarily have to be obnoxious. I myself can become REALLY quiet when drunk, or really funny at moment, but I STILL respect other people and listen to authority. SO please, don't prohibit me from drinking when some fool who does drugs becomes a pain.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:34 AM   #36
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Actually you can get really hammered watching a long movie. When the movie The Doors came out we snuck in 2 gallons of liquor. Yep we were f$%^ed up
I'm sure it was all the acid you took and not the road-pops..
Old 10-04-2003, 03:38 AM   #37
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
And in a certain way isn't this encouraging drunk driving? Its naive to think everyone will be responsable with there drinking.
They wouldn't be anyways then.. if someone is going to drink and drive, buying a beer at the theatre isn't going to be the straw that broke the camels back. You should be pumped that they are going to be sitting in the same place for two hours. Chances are they were boozing before hitting the parking lot.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:58 AM   #38
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Drinking & Driving = No-No!! Whenever, wherever, while in a theatre, in a bar, or at work (we used to drink some beers after work on fridays), you CANNOT drink and drive at the same time. So to accentuate the fact that driving home from a theatre after having drank a couple of alcholic beverages, is completely redundant. Also, you cannot blame nor say that theatres are responsible for drunken drivers, or that people coming out of a theatre with alchohol in their blood, will intentionally drive home or are tipsy in the first place. It all lies in the responsibility of an individual and the theatre, which needs to CHECK the ages of their customers, before selling them alchohol.

Next thing: here in holland you can drink alchohol in the theatre. Beer and wine and some other not-strong-considered alchohol are purchasable from the bar. Furthermore, bring along a bottle of Southern Comfort in your back-pack, sneak it in and you have the finest whisky-liquor along with a nice flick. NEVER, and I mean NEVER-EVER, did I experience alchohol abuse in the theatre up to a point where: someone becomes irrational, disturbing the order, obstructing anyone from watching the movie, being loud and obnoxious etc. Never! And I've seen some movies in theatre around holland, I can tell you that. That alone shows that alchohol and movies *can* go together, no problem.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:34 PM   #39
Azimaith
Manshoon

Couple problems.

1: No bottles, clinking annoying, breaking and possibly dangerous.
2: No cans, loud, overflowing, messy, noisy as well.
3: Using cups=no head on beer and very likely flat beer pretty fast.
4: Idiots who never drank before getting drunk in the theatre. Isn't it bad enough when you have some twit bring their baby into Freddy vs Jason and the kid starts bawling because people are getting hacked apart? What about cell phones!? Now imagine some idiot who has no alcohol tolerance having beer for the first time in a theatre and getting drunk.

I don't think beer would be such a good idea mainly because of the fourth one, I can just imagine some poor moviegoer having a drunk fool behind them.

Oh wait, theres one more.
Movie theatres are dark and loud, who can tell if the person who bought the beer is drinking it or is he passing it to his underage friend.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 10-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #40
Azimaith
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
*big sigh

Let's begin by saying all the people I have read now that are against this idea severely overrate the effect of beer and/or the people drinking it.
When you go to a movie, you don't go there for the beer, so this means, you won't be drinking more than 4 beers. else you would be missing one half of the movie by getting beers all the time. Second, 4 beers does not get you obnoxiously drunk. To get to that, you need at least 10 beers. In three hours. Furthermore, you guys who are against beer are blaming a very LARGE group of innocent beer consumers for the actions of a SMALL group of aggressive people, who probably have used alcohol in conjunction with another drug. In Holland that's mainly XTC, it gets people aggressive. So, basically 1. in a theater you wont get the chance of getting drunk and 2. those who managed to don't necessarily have to be obnoxious. I myself can become REALLY quiet when drunk, or really funny at moment, but I STILL respect other people and listen to authority. SO please, don't prohibit me from drinking when some fool who does drugs becomes a pain.
People who have never touched alcohol before and are first trying it become drunk VERY VERY VERY fast, sometimes with less than a single beer. If you do drink semi-often your tolerance for alcohol will rise, but considering the number of people who are young enough to not have tried alcohol before but are just turning the drinking age who go to movies, its a better chance we will get an alcohol neophyte drinking beer in a theatre and getting drunk.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>