Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-17-2001, 06:47 AM   #21
Epona
Zartan

I got 132.

Logical reasoning 100 YAY!!

Tanada, I'm not surprised you don't do IQ tests, they are something that Britain and especially the US go nuts over, but the rest of the world actually looked at the scientific debunking of them in the 1970s.
It is just a way of labelling kids to say - you're bright, so we'll spend lots of money on your education, and you're thick so we'll teach you how to put cars together on the cheap.

I have problems with some of the questions. A lot of them are based on general knowledge (otherwise known as trivia) - plant names, city names etc. That tests your recall, not your reasoning.
Also the 'odd one out' questions depend greatly on your outlook and the way you approach the question. Some of them had no correct answer as far as I could see. For example:
Car, Steamboat, Airplane, Bus, Train.
All except car are public transport vehicles
All except steamboat have wheels
Only train uses rails
Only Airplane flies
Only steamboat floats across water
Only steamboat runs on steam

etc. etc. etc. I am sure I could think of a few more odd ones out. My first interpretation was the 'public transport' one - because I live in a country where we have a public transport system and I spend a lot of time using it. Other countries don't have public transport at all, so that would never occur to them. Who is more intelligent? Get my drift?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-17-2001, 07:20 AM   #22
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I got 132.

Logical reasoning 100 YAY!!

Tanada, I'm not surprised you don't do IQ tests, they are something that Britain and especially the US go nuts over, but the rest of the world actually looked at the scientific debunking of them in the 1970s.
It is just a way of labelling kids to say - you're bright, so we'll spend lots of money on your education, and you're thick so we'll teach you how to put cars together on the cheap.

I have problems with some of the questions. A lot of them are based on general knowledge (otherwise known as trivia) - plant names, city names etc. That tests your recall, not your reasoning.
Also the 'odd one out' questions depend greatly on your outlook and the way you approach the question. Some of them had no correct answer as far as I could see. For example:
Car, Steamboat, Airplane, Bus, Train.
All except car are public transport vehicles
All except steamboat have wheels
Only train uses rails
Only Airplane flies
Only steamboat floats across water
Only steamboat runs on steam

etc. etc. etc. I am sure I could think of a few more odd ones out. My first interpretation was the 'public transport' one - because I live in a country where we have a public transport system and I spend a lot of time using it. Other countries don't have public transport at all, so that would never occur to them. Who is more intelligent? Get my drift?

I agree, Epona! It didn't look like a sensible test at all, in some areas, and that one is a case in point. I also figured out several ways in which each one differed from the rest, all perfectly logical and reasonable. I plumped for the steamboat in the end because it uses different fuel! But there is no way to check the 'right' answer.
I also scored high on 'pattern recognition - but I have done badly on that in other IQ tests I have taken - and those patterns were SO obvious a baby could have done 'em!
Anyway - I scored 33 on Arithmetic and that HAS to be a first for me! I wouldn't have expected more than about 10 in any other Arithmetic test, lol!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:59 AM   #23
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL Flojtsdale - I went for steamboat as well - I wonder what the "right" answer is. And Epona, good expansion of the possible answers for that question - incidentally I didn't rule out the train as not using steam, because it didn't specify that it couldn't be a steam train. I took the current form of public transport argument. Incidentally, what were the first and third jumbled letter words???

------------------

Ironworks Revolutionary Splitter wannabe
Founding Member, and General Demands Adviser of the O.R.T.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:00 AM   #24
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I chose the airplane because it flew while all of the others were at ground level.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:46 AM   #25
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I chose the airplane because it flew while all of the others were at ground level.
I think that proves my point. That is no less valid an answer than any of the others we could come up with, but I wonder which was judged 'correct' by the test designer?

I know that this sort of test can be more valid at determining which way you approach problems, which is useful to know if you are putting together a team of problem solvers - so that you get a good mix of different ways of thinking.
For example, we have looked at straightforward ways of determining the odd one out. But there are other ways. Does one of the answers have less letters in the word? Do the letters of each word all contain straight edges bar one? If you assign numbers to each letter of the alphabet, do all the words 'add up' to the same except one? Does one word have more vowels?
There are a whole number of approaches to the 'odd one out' test.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-17-2001, 12:12 PM   #26
Vampire

142 or 143?

Guess that's good. I got a lowish in the 1st one can't really remember what that was.... YAWN this was at 6 in the morning not the best time..

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 12:51 PM   #27
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I've taken a couple of these. I think I remember taking this one, although it's been a little while. I generally score between 135-145 depending on the test, my spare time, the questions, etc. I also maxed out the ASVAB before joining the military 99% total. Line scores between 132-140 all the way across the board. I remember not doing extremely well on the foreign language aptitude test though. It was supposed to test your potential at rapidly picking up foreign languages and understanding language you weren't fluent in by association. A tape would rapidly say things to you and you had a questionaire to fill out. Very confusing as the two didn't seem to coincide.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:52 PM   #28
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I only got a 111 on my GT score on the ASVAB. It just ain't right I tell ya!!

BTW...Army for me.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-17-2001, 12:59 PM   #29
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Interesting to see that noone got below 100 ... well, I guess the big W Jr isn't on the board after all

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-17-2001, 12:59 PM   #30
Elif Godson
Dracolich

If I were to take the deoression test now, I think that I
would be thoroughly depressed now. ! point below normal
a measley 99. Ive gotten dumber since school. I scored
a 132 back when.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Advisor to the Lady Lioness for Kitchen raid's and such...