Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I've just started a new game, with a ranger, and I've just got to say: OMG! Those guys are really good at the beginning. 2.5 attacks per round right from scratch is GOOD. [img]smile.gif[/img] Though honesty says he'll be less powerful in the long run.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
I've just started a new game, with a ranger, and I've just got to say: OMG! Those guys are really good at the beginning. 2.5 attacks per round right from scratch is GOOD. [img]smile.gif[/img] Though honesty says he'll be less powerful in the long run.
The ranger is one of my all-time IWD favorites. This class combines the attacks of a fighter, stealth of a thief, and spells of a druid. I've soloed the entire game with an elf ranger on the "hard" difficulty setting and had no problems whatsoever.

The strategy for soloing with a ranger is a little different with the HOW expansion because of the "call to arms", and the loss of spells at the mid-levels (IWD rangers get a lot more spells at levels 8-14 than HOW rangers). However, these are easily overcome with the right potions and tactics. For me, nothing in IWD feels quite like taking a solo ranger through to Burial Isle before having to reload for the first time.

This time, I'm taking a human ranger with the intention of dualing him to a cleric at level 13. So far I'm at Dragon's Eye with no reloads.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:40 PM   #13
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

If you don't mind, Otto, I'm going to try that tactic, too, once I get my computer up and running. My current character relies too heavily on bows to validate 1/3 of the expo flowing into magery. My only quibble with a cleric/ranger is that they must use SLINGS! I HATE SLINGS! I think that I may just stick with a ranger and use as much archer tactics as possible.

Is there anything that I need to know about archer tactics? I have just been shooting guys and retreating, and whipping out my sword when cornered. Anything else to be aware of? I'm new to the archery game, as it is a lot weaker in IWD2, which I'm used to.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #14
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Elven ranger with 19 dex and composite longbow... thac0 of 14 at the beginning of the game...

Old 11-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
If you don't mind, Otto, I'm going to try that tactic, too, once I get my computer up and running. My current character relies too heavily on bows to validate 1/3 of the expo flowing into magery. My only quibble with a cleric/ranger is that they must use SLINGS! I HATE SLINGS! I think that I may just stick with a ranger and use as much archer tactics as possible.

Is there anything that I need to know about archer tactics? I have just been shooting guys and retreating, and whipping out my sword when cornered. Anything else to be aware of? I'm new to the archery game, as it is a lot weaker in IWD2, which I'm used to.
I like the "stealth, shoot, stealth" strategy. This is great for engaging "imbued" creatures, spellcasters, or in other situtations where initatiative is critical.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote