Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I've read posts by Radek & other that give a breakdown of how many skill points you get on LVL UP based on how high you INT is. eg Int 9-12= 3 skill points 13-16 = 4 etc . Is this right or do they mean Attributes such as Int Dex. Str. etc.??? All of my 6 nearly-new characters have at least 10 INT with the Mage at 15 and none of them have got more than 1 skill point to improve at when they Lvl up even after numerous retries to improve Attributes to at least 2 by reloading. By skills I mean such things as Sorcery, Mace Sword Spiritcraft Sun Magic etc. (My wiz & priests only get to pick 1 spell each time but I think this part is right.)
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First off, you are correct -- you only get one spell pick per level.

Second, it is skill points that your intelligence get you at level-up, not attribute points. And it's basically your INT/4, rounded down.

However, that number is only valid for your first time at a given level. So a level 5 wizard will get 4 points (assuming 16-19 INT), while that same wizard as a level 5 bard will only get one point at level up. The one-point rule holds until you exceed your previous highest level.

So if you went Wiz-12, Bard-8, Ninja-11, and Warlock-15 before switching to Assassin, you would have gotten full points for every wizard level, one point for every bard and ninja level, and one point for the first 12 warlock levels. At the 13th warlock level (the first time being level 13), you would have gotten full points again. And having switched to Assassin, you're back to one point apiece until you reach level 16 (your first time there).

This offsets the class-switching advantages that existed in previous Wizardry games. But don't worry... by the end of the game, you'll be practically god-like.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I have just leveled up My warrior to Lvl 3 and he has 12 Int. This is my team's first crack out of Valeia with no class changes. He still only gets 2 skill points with 12 INT. What really bugs me is my Priest with with INt 10 leveling up to Lvl 2 couldn't pull off more than 1 skill point no matter what. She should be getting 3 and so should my Warrior so I still don't know why I'm not getting the Skills UNLESS it's because they used the Wiz Guild to increase INT. No my priest never did she was 10 from the beginning
Old 05-12-2004, 05:51 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

That's weird. I've never seen it so far. First of all, your computations are correct. You should get 3 skill points at INT 12, 4 skill points at INT 16, and so on. Second, training INT in the Mages Guild is okay, the increased INT should work on next promotion.

I can recommend only the following:
- Check the game with a game editor and see what values the editor will display.
- Send the saved game file to somebody so that he can check the saved game on his computer.
These actions could hint whether your installation of W&W is corrupted, whether the game file is corrupted, or whether the problem is somewhere else. If you are playing unpatched then you can send the saved game to me as well.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
Robalex
Dungeon Master

Thx for the info Radek but my game IS patched. What values do I check or look for exactly with the game editor. I have it zipped but haven't used it yet. Could you explain in a bit more detail.

------------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I just noticed I only have the Roster editor NOT a game editor. Where can I get one to check the values.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

I mant using the editor as a tool for checking integrity of the saved game file. Is the editor able to read the file? Does it display stats displayed by the game? Does it indicate diseases, curses or similar affections? Do the other characteristics, like level, and so on, agree?

Ah-ha! Yes! Forgive my blindness. The number of skill points you are getting is alright. What's the matter?
The INT rule applies only if your level is enough high. At low levels, your character level is limiting the number of skill points you can get. At level 2, you cannot get more than 1 skill point no matter how is your INT. Similarly, at level 3 you cannot get more than 2 skill points ... at level 6 you cannot get more than 5 skill points. Starting from level 7 you will get full number of skill points. I have just realized that you are at level 3
Therefore, the INT rule works - but with the limitations given by your level:
- low level limits the max number of skill points to (level) - 1
- after changing role, you get 1 skill point until you reach the highest level reached so far.

[ 05-12-2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Radek ]
Old 05-12-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
Robalex
Dungeon Master

That clears up the mystery Thx
Old 05-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Are you sure, Radek? (like I ought to ask that question [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I thought I got more than one skill point at level two, and more than two at level 3. Capping it at something like 3 skill points seems familiar, but the other doesn't.

I guess I'll have to check it out when the Den finishes up.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

I am sure. Well, almost [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] I haven't played W&W for some time. But I have recalled what I am always doing: have enough good INT and train in the guild so that you will have INT 20 at level 5 and INT 24 at level 6.
Note: I have 2 mules with bags of ankhs. That's why I can reach high INT so quickly