Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
bsftcs
Red Dragon

What part of or detail in the game was the first to capture your interest or amaze you?

For my part I had to wander around the lands of Valeia and overcome two major problems before I got really hooked. I thought the graphics were all right but not specifically impressive - especially the way the trees are mapped in the wilderness was a bit outdated when I got my hands on the game. Then I got stuck by the crypt before finally discovering that ... lever. The crypt caught my interest, but then it took me a while before I found out how to get past the Kerah statue.

Then I swam across the moat to the asylum. The vaulted submerged tunnel with the bats overhead and the landing bridge where the mentally insane were dropped off was THE one thing that got me hooked. I really cannot explain why. I just thought it was very well thought of and very beautifully and impressively designed.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

hmmmm
Not sure after all this time that I can recall what was the first thing that made me really like W&W. I like the first person presentation - I like limited parties and not having a zillion character options just in creating your characters. So it was probably the ease of getting started that was the first thumbs up. The interface was nice and easy to learn. It was also easy to know what to do - unlike some other games I've tried.
W&W still remains one of the very best games I've played in ages!

Wyv
Old 05-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Greyem
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings fellow adicts, I have been hooked on W&W from the time of the first (I think original game) was issued. Back then there was one still graphic of the monster you had encountered. The mapping was done by hand on a piece of graph paper! I think I might be showing my age. The concept of the game was the same, but the whole game was on about four 5 1/4" floppys. Scary stuff.
Anyhow, when I got a decent computer, and my son was given W&W for his birthday, I was hooked again. I find it is a great form of escapism (if that is a proper word?!). It is almost like writing your own piece of fiction.
I have played Doom and Duke3d and Heretic and many others, but W&W is my pick of the litter.\

Regards,

Greyem of Kamberra
Old 05-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've played computer games since M&M1 almost 20 years ago, and I really enjoy classic CRPGs. I enjoy character development and story lines that make sense (such as clerics needing to rebuild a temple for a promotion in MM6). Things like the ninja, ranger, and samurai promotions do exactly that.

I do wish that W&W allowed you to pass through the different map zones earlier on (like MM does), but I can live without it.

And the moment that got me hooked? Probably going all the way through the crypt, realizing that you needed to use brains as well as brawn to succeed.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:48 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

I like to try games with negative reviews I've made experience that there are only two possibilities:
1. the game is really bad, or
2. the game is far better than most games in the market.
The first possibility can be seen easily from the first glance on the box with the game. The second possibility usually indicates that the game needs thinking - an action, which is usually unknown to reviewers
First, I was disappointed with the game. Unability to rest, forced acting in the night, and no adventurer's base made me crazy. But it was clear that the game really needs thinking [img]smile.gif[/img] I overcame the drawbacks and concentrated on the game. The end. Hooked forever [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
So So
Zhentarim Guard

I got hooked after reading the manual...a bit lame, but when I started reading about the skills and the spells and stuff...I realized that this was going to be a game worth playing...

Also before I found out about Virtual Dub, the fact that I couldn't get past the western gate in the first town started to bug me and I had to kill the bandits and trolls in revenge for my fallen warriors... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I got hooked because it reminds me so much of Might and Magic games. The first person view , the characters development etc. Plus it got nice blue sky plus rivers/sea.

What got me into playing again and again is probably because of Lysandra naughtyness. She is just...
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

I got hooked because:
1) I was desperately waiting for Wizardry 8
2) W&W *WAS* Wizardry 8 (in essence, anyway)
3) It was by DWB (who, after Wiz 5, 6, 7 can suck me in for anything!)
4) The gameplay and humor reminded me so much of Wizardry 7 (my all-time favorite) that I fell for it like a brick
5) I love any game that can make me feel that I'm really *THERE* - and this one did!