Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
Sylas
Welcomed New User

First off, let me thank everyone for the various tech post...they have helped me make the game playable under WinXP without a problem (so far).

In regards to Monks, I think I've read all the posts regarding them and just want a concrete answer as most of the posts I read were fairly old.

Kung Fu- this skill is made better by putting a non-weapon in the off-hand. This will allow kicking. So, if I put a SHIELD in my off-hand, I will start kicking and will not have any detrimental effect on my Kung Fu abilities, right?

Monk Armor- I noticed a post that said you can look at you combat abilities and try different combinations of armor to see if they have a negative impact. Using that methodology, my monk can wear CHAIN armor and not have a negative modifier (maybe -1 parry, but I'm not sure). Is this true, it seems absurd. Is there some background retarding that’s going on to a stat I don't see?

So, in summary:

1. Do you need to wield a shield/lantern/underwater breathing thing to have optimum Kung Fu damage potential?

2. Does all the armor a monk can wear not retard Kung Fu ability of the ability to dodge?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Sylas. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

The best there is.

I think the ability to kick depends on the 2nd weapon skill.

I believe the weight of the armour you wear would still affect those skills. (Not the kung fu skill in general, but your ability to attack). The type of armour should not affect it. Remember if you are playing patched that the spirit shield trait will be very effective if you use robes.

[ 05-11-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 05-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Sylas
Welcomed New User

Thanks bsftcs,

In regards to 2nd strike (which is what I assume you mean), I thought I read that with the item in the off-hand, you got to kick even if you didn't have the 2nd strike skill?

In regards to armor- so I can wear ANY armor allowed to the monk...the only problems come up when he is encumbered. Is that right?

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Sylas! May you find adventure and excitement throughout the Gael Serran. And I'm glad you've found the Tech Tips thread helpful... that's why we put it there.

To respond to your questions...

... Double strike is the trait which lets you learn the second weapon skill. Your skill level indicates how well you can hit with your second weapon. Without the trait, you can't hit at all. With it, your skill determines how well you can hit. You don't really connect until you get at least level one.

The monk can wear any armor he (or she) is allowed, and encumbrance really doesn't have much impact (not like in other Wizardry games). Later on, the Spirit Shield trait works only if you're wearing robes, and the +4 to AC is a really big bonus [img]smile.gif[/img] Especially if you've picked up that magical wizard's robe...

I know that equipping a breather in your second hand lets you use your kung fu for a second attack. You can also equip a main gauche or side dagger and gain a second attack as well (but with those weapons). I haven't tried it with any of the other items you mention, but I expect it would also work.

For optimum kung fu damage... I think maximizing strength, kung fu, and second weapon are the start. Then maximizing Prowess or Gallantry also help out. And hiding in shadows will greatly increase your damage [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

At the end of the Den of Thieves game, the two rogues using kung fu will regularly deal 15-20 points of damage per blow, comparable to what's happening with the other rogues' swords. Now, the assassin... that's a different matter
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote