Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 AM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
~~ Edit: you shouldn't be over-encumbered this early in the game. Are you taking every little sword and dagger that the skelotens drop? Selling them, IMHO, is not worth the effort in hauling them back to Kuldahar.
Not quite. In the beginning of the game, gold is in short supply, and the dozens of weapons( especially the green-tinted ones) can easily give you hundreds, if not thousands of gold pieces before the start of Chap3.

The trick is in hoarding the weapons and selling them in bulk( 16 per bulk), because the selling price of an item is determined by how much the storekeeper has of that item. This applies to armour too, such as Platemail.

Why the need for gold? Coz it is nice to have Orrick's items when you are still in the Vale of Shadows.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
Aerich
Lord Ao

I concur with our illustrious mod. My general strategy (if I'm not in a hurry and I have a reasonable number of characters; 4+) is to take back all weapons worth more than 5 GP. Essentially, longsword and better. I leave axes, daggers, and especially the ultra heavy maces and flails, unless they are high quality.

A little financial flexibility goes a long way. You can pick up the bardic horn, better armour, spells, potions, etc. if you have that extra couple thousand cash.

My strategy for this area is to draw the skeleton archers with one character, unstealthed. You can draw the archers back to the entry foyer - if the rest of your characters stand on either side of the door, the archers have no angle to hit you, walk right in, and get clobbered. If the archers don't walk all the way in, they usually come close enough that you can charge out and get them into melee before they can get off more than one shot.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM   #13
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Clarification: If I needed inventory space, I would drop all those swords that I'm schleping around. I didn't mean never take them, I meant that if needed there shouldn't be a problem with dropping 30 gold worth of skeleton armaments.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Be sure to buy storage containers if you haven't already. You can get them for gems, scrolls, or potions. It doesn't hurt to get 2 if you have many items of one category.
Al Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:18 AM   #15
blakething
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for all the help. i finally DID lure the archers back to the entryway (not sure why they did not follow me before), and i'm at the start of chapter 2 now (fighting lizard men in dragon's eye). my party is realing starting to kick some butt too, now that i know a little more about what i am doing .and if one of my characters die, i'm just reloading as it's too much hassle to have to go all of the way back to kuldahar and waste the gold on rezzing them, then re-equiping all of their items,etc. (i'm not dying as much now anyway) ...i found the storage containers in town, those are very helpful.have also been using my thief to pick pockets there too (thief has 90% pickpocketing skill) , and am getting some pretty good items just doing that.

btw, i found the raise dead and resurrecction scrolls for sale in the temple (did not see the buy/sell option there before) but it says that only good characters can cast those spells but i have a chaotic evil party so i guess my evil cleric will never be able to resurrect? any spells like that that only the evil clerics can use? thanks again.
blakething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:05 AM   #16
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by blakething:

btw, i found the raise dead and resurrecction scrolls for sale in the temple (did not see the buy/sell option there before) but it says that only good characters can cast those spells but i have a chaotic evil party so i guess my evil cleric will never be able to resurrect? any spells like that that only the evil clerics can use? thanks again.
Yes basically good clerics can use the the healing spells, while evil can use the harming spells (cause serious wounds... etc). Though AFAIK the low level versions of these spells can be used for both.
The harming equivalent of resurrection is I think "destruction" which can be only used by evil.

There are few other spells which are alignement restricted...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

If I'm not mistaken, any spell can be cast from a scroll, no matter the alignment of the character.

Off the top of my head, evil clerics cannot cast raise dead, resurrection, heal, cure critical wounds, or either of the Shield of Lathander spells. Instead, the curing/raising spells are reversed, so evil clerics can slay with those spells instead. They get a few other high-level nasties, too.

Good clerics cannot cast Circle of Bones, Cloud of Pestilence, or any of the harming spells.

Some good/evil spells are reversed, like the 3rd level Smite spell.

For me, the clincher is the Turn Undead ability. High level clerics can destroy undead, whereas evil clerics can only control them. Not bad, but I prefer just getting the experience outright.

I also really love the Shield of Lathander spells. True invulnerability for your tank. Mmmm.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:47 PM   #18
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I only know the duration of the shield of Lathander in IWD2, but in that it is VERY short. Good, but short.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote