Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 07:17 PM   #31
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:

Debiler would you like to join Aerie The Holy Maiden Lovers Fun CLub?
With all my heart and devotion. YES! She´s the No.1 fantasy babe of all times.

------------------
Calvin the bold - the malt beer lord is in!

[This message has been edited by debiler (edited 09-10-2001).]
Old 09-11-2001, 04:33 AM   #32
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Yeh, you all say you need this and that for arie and so. But imagine this. Arie isn't that weak, then she doesn't need any protective spells and can use the empty memorize slots to memorize destructive spells, that will kick the hell out of your enemies. Arie is a waste of resources, she may look cute and all, but still, Viconia and Jaheira are better

------------------
There's something in your eyes, ah no, I see now, it's the reflection of my deadly gaze - Mirac Honorguard
(Necromancer)
Old 09-11-2001, 05:24 AM   #33
Gedd
The Magister

IMO, with all the fighters and potential spell caster/fighters in the game Aerie makes a nice change in being an out and out spell caster. She has SOOO many spells memorised that you can almost account for any situation. She is the best party friendly NPC in the game - weak by herself but enhances the group alot.
She has saved my group a number of times and played a really big part in killing both Firkraag and the Shadow Dragon.

------------------
none shall pass...
Old 09-11-2001, 06:42 AM   #34
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

There 2 things that people can't understand about Aerie.

1-Aerie dies quickly

If you're wise enough to use her in melee combat (!?) of course she'll die. She's not a FIGHTEr She's a BACK-UP Mage & Cleric (And Primary Lover and in ToB, think what she'll be like when she's level 25.

2-Aerie is multi-classed, her level is low

Aerie is not appropriate for primary mage. Her speciality is the QUANTITY of her spells my friend. She will boooost up your magic force.

Also dont forget that her value depends on your party. If you got only 1 tank than Aerie is not appropriate for a party like this. She's best for 2 tank, 1 mage,1 cleric,1 thief parties.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:02 AM   #35
Gedd
The Magister

i agree entirely..she should be no where near the front line and should use her spells to
1) Enhance party (chant, proctect from evil etc)
2) Aid party (healing, free action, remove fear etc)
3) Back up fire (magic missile, holy smite, sling)

she does all these things well. Also, she has never died in my party mainly beacuse she has never once been involved in Hand to Hand.

------------------
none shall pass...
Old 09-11-2001, 08:12 AM   #36
Gedd
The Magister

Aerie has never died in my party, mainly because she is always well away from trouble.
However, her spell selection is very good - even though it takes her a while to get the really high level stuff, there are some superb second,third and fourth level spells especially party enhancing ones.

As said above, all characters IMO are just as good, it all goes down to how you use them and how you play.

------------------
none shall pass...
Old 09-11-2001, 08:14 AM   #37
Gedd
The Magister

oops, sorry for the double post - throught the first one hadn;t worked..
:-/

------------------
none shall pass...
Old 09-11-2001, 08:37 AM   #38
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
1-Aerie dies quickly
This simply isn't the case. With the correct spells cast she is nowhere near as frail as she is often cited as being (see above post).

I'm talking about increasing versatility here. Yes, I also equip Aerie with a sling in her second slot should the combat be too overwhelming. However, a sling causes pathetic amounts of damage. I'd much prefer to be using a powerful magical mace, or similar.

If Aerie is positioned in the combat with the rest of the party, it makes it easier to use area spells such as chant and haste. If she's too far away, you'll miss half your party (unless you already know the enemy is there and cast it in advance). Therefore it pays for her to be capable of whacking minor enemies like Yuan-ti and sword spiders while other party members concentrate on taking out the tougher creatures.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirac Honorguard:
Viconia and Jaheira are better
This is where I agree with Gedd. All characters are just as good. Each and every one of the NPC's in the Baldur's Gate saga is perfectly serviceable if used correctly. Fine, Jaheira may be better in combat, but what if I need a couple of fireballs? Or a breach spell to overcome an enemy mage? Neither Jaheira nor Viconia can help me there.

Oh, and if you're talking in terms of romance, Viconia's better then both of them.

Anyway, I think it all comes down to style of play. If I can get a character to chip in to combat, then I will, simply because I like to keep a tactically cohesive party. I still maintain that Aerie can be useful in combat, and I do not believe it is a waste of resources equipping her with this in mind. Isn't it best to prepare each character for as many different situations as possible?

The advantage of multiclassing is versatility. Take advantage of it, don't stagnate.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-11-2001, 10:24 AM   #39
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Girdle of Fortifude sets your Consitution to 18. Sounds useless? Oh of course almost all of your character's CON should be 16 or 17. But what about Aerie? I noticed that my party's con score was 16 to 18 except Aerie. So I give this girdle to Aerie. It can be used once per day but if lasts for 8 hours (or 1 day I can remember) This girdle gives Aerie additional 20 hp. It's very useful. And with the Mauler's arm+2 her str is 18.

Str 18
Con 18
Dex 17 (or 18? I cant remember)
+additional 20 hp's

Oh she can help you even in melee right now
Not to mention Tenser's transformation, stoneskin etc
Old 09-11-2001, 11:10 AM   #40
Vampire

clone