Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
hazard
Dungeon Master

Does anyone have good advice on playing a thief and what to put skill points into? I imported my fighter from BG1 and dual classed to a thief. I had a 19 strength. Im averaging 9 points of damage on triple backstabs. Am I doing something wrong, or does backstab just suck this much?
Old 09-04-2001, 08:16 PM   #2
oldbittercraig
Elminster

your multiplier depends on your level. If you are a newbie thief, you won't even have a multiplier yet, hence the low damage. It eventually will work it's way up to x4 or x5.

I have a strength 18/00 thief that has broken the 100 point barrier twice...
Old 09-04-2001, 08:20 PM   #3
hazard
Dungeon Master

So when you go from 3x to 4 and 5x you start doing more than 9 points a backstab?
Old 09-04-2001, 08:27 PM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

First, make sure you are using a weapon you are proficient in. (hint-The sword of Backstabbing is AWESOME!!)If you are a low level theif, your backstab's won't be much yet. But be patient! Jan at lvl 7 backstabbed yesterday for 52 hit points.

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 09-04-2001, 10:55 PM   #5
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

first, until your thief level exceeds what your fighter level was, you will not have his old THAC0 or weapon proficiencies; this means that at best you are merely proficient with a weapon, no bonuses to hit or damage.

thief level----------backstab multiplier
____1-4____________________x2
____5-8____________________x3
____9-12___________________x4
____13+____________________x5

in 2nd ed rules, only the damage done by the weapon is multiplied, which originally didnt include magical bonuses but i think bg does, so a 5th level thief (x3) with a 19 STR (+7 dmg) and a short sword (dmg: 1-6) would have a backstab range of 10-25. given that you seem to be averaging below the minimum, my guess is that the backstab isn't being done correctly. make sure you are within the 90 degree arc at the creature's back (imagine looking down at the creature as it faces north, draw an X through its body, you want to be standing in the lower section), and make sure you are hidden. backstabbing them in the arm isn't gonna do it.

actually, with ANY weapon (w/19 STR) your minimum damage is 8.

so... use a weapon youre proficient in. when you get your fighter proficiencies back you'll be even better. hide. get BEHIND the enemy.

(p.s. jan backstabbing for 52 must have been a critical hit as well; dont mislead the kid

[This message has been edited by Amergin (edited 09-04-2001).]
Old 09-04-2001, 11:06 PM   #6
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Ha ha, I love my dualed fighter/thief, has on *many* occasions done well into the hundreds in damage. Given I'm at level 14 right now using the 'sword of backstabing' as, Lioness, mentioned, this weapon is great. Hints, buy and keep all the potions of invisiblity you can and use them along with a ring of invisibilty, theses are staples to a good thief if you want to do backstabing in fights; after all you can't go run and hide in shadows in the thick of a good fight. Also put points into trap setting, don't underestimate the power of this ability, it can do high damage if you set them up and lead the enemy into them.

Spoil
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
Sidenote, I found out after asking the question here, if your a thief you will be offered to run the guild house, if you accept you won't get the sword of backstabing, decline and it will be given to you.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-05-2001, 01:22 AM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hmm, which wepons to backstab w/........

The more intresting ones are:
Staff (there is an absolutly badass staff in the Keep w/ the TOB expansion).
Katana (celestial fury).