Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 01:49 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

If the War Forum was never of interest to you, just disregard this post, but if you left the war forum due to the conflicts last week, please consider returning.

The war forum is a great place for serious discussions! I've seen no flaming or heard any complaints about behavior in several days. It's just for discussions, no matter what your point of view.

I hope to see more of you who are interested there

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-29-2001, 01:57 PM   #2
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
If the War Forum was never of interest to you, just disregard this post, but if you left the war forum due to the conflicts last week, please consider returning.

The war forum is a great place for serious discussions! I've seen no flaming or heard any complaints about behavior in several days. It's just for discussions, no matter what your point of view.

I hope to see more of you who are interested there

Nah. It's no fun without Dio..........

------------------

Most Ecstatic Mistress of the Illuminati

Feisty Kitten Mascot and Succourer of the Waifs and Strays Hugging and Smooching Club

Don't Dream It, Be It (Easy, - Just Keep Choosing the Same Thing...)
Old 10-29-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

I know people are upset about Dio and some of the other things that happened, and I don't know what to say about that, but I'm fun to play with, too

Don't "write off" the whole forum because of that. I've noticed your mom checking in from time to time, and it would be great to have everyone back.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-29-2001, 02:26 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

Oh, come, come, Silver Cheetah! Surely you don't mean to imply that an entire forum lives and breathes only due to the presence of a single member??

I have no love lost for that forum, but I can see that others do care very much about it and the issues that it raises. Don't give up on it because a single member is missing. There are other members there with equally valid viewpoints.

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 02:31 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Oh, come, come, Silver Cheetah! Surely you don't mean to imply that an entire forum lives and breathes only due to the presence of a single member??

I have no love lost for that forum, but I can see that others do care very much about it and the issues that it raises. Don't give up on it because a single member is missing. There are other members there with equally valid viewpoints.

Saz, a bit of what Cheetah says is quite true. Dio was one of us. You must understand that it just is not quite the same. Dio inspired many of us to take a closer look at the issues and see all the different shades of the grey rainbow that is Political Discussion. We do have reason to miss his POV and we do have the right to say so. No disrespect meant Saz. You ARE also one of the best!

Disagreement is what makes that forum tick. I think dat clock is broke!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 02:42 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:

Saz, a bit of what Cheetah says is quite true. Dio was one of us. You must understand that it just is not quite the same. Dio inspired many of us to take a closer look at the issues and see all the different shades of the grey rainbow that is Political Discussion. We do have reason to miss his POV and we do have the right to say so. No disrespect meant Saz. You ARE also one of the best!

Disagreement is what makes that forum tick. I think dat clock is broke!

I fully appreciate everything you have said, Mark. However, my point was that surely there are others among you who can do what Dio did as well. Do not all of you have the ability to examine subtle nuances or points?

Disagreement and the examination of that which leads to the disagreement does make a debate forum tick, I agree. It's only when disagreement becomes a personal attack that it goes wrong, and that it what did occur there. I think there was a lot of overreaction (heck, my leaving was probably an overreaction as well), but at the time, I knew of nothing else I could do; nothing else I had done was working. At least, that was my opinion.

Personally, I feel I have nothing that could offer that forum. I am a political moderate, feeling passionately neither about one side nor the other, nor am I a great debater or argumenter. I do not function well in such an environment. Others do, and I feel it is a travesty for them to stay away from something just because someone else is no longer there. Heck, if I felt that way about GD, I'd have been long gone before with all the people we've seen come and go here.

But a forum is more than one person. It's a group of people who are willing to come together and share things, be that information, ideas, opinions, jokes...it doesn't really matter. Hopefully that can be done with mutual tolerance and respect for others. When that tolerance and respect is jettisoned, then things like what happened in the WoT forum occur.

Give it time. We have a great capacity for healing as well.

Cheers,

------------------

Old 10-29-2001, 02:42 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

Perhaps a legend needs to be posted on the War Forum!

"Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here!"

Nice ring to it, you think?

------------------

Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 02:45 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One last thing, and then I will say no more on the subject.

The last correspondence I had with Dio, his upset was that he thought the War forum was going to be taken down. That's where all the antagonism came from...his own dismay and outrage that the forum was going down in flames. He cared very much about that forum. For those of you who are his friends, do consider keeping it going for that reason alone. Just a thought.

------------------

Old 10-29-2001, 02:49 PM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
One last thing, and then I will say no more on the subject.

The last correspondence I had with Dio, his upset was that he thought the War forum was going to be taken down. That's where all the antagonism came from...his own dismay and outrage that the forum was going down in flames. He cared very much about that forum. For those of you who are his friends, do consider keeping it going for that reason alone. Just a thought.

I don't think there is any one regular that does not feel as Dio had. That the War Forum was and maybe still is not long for these boards. It looks like a wounded animal right now, I guess I can only hope for the best!

[Edit] Changing the I to it in "I look like a wounded animal" sorry!
------------------

Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 04:02 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well with talk like that (we won't post because the forum is dead or one member is missing), it's no wonder it isn't the way you want it! Did anyone who loves that forum make a point of NOT posting if one of us went on vacation? NO. We assume Dio is coming back sometime (at this point there is no reason to think otherwise) and yet you say it's not worth posting because that one person isn't there right now? If I did as you seem to be suggesting, I'd never have posted in GD for the last 2-4 months because three people I was very close to and had the best exchanges with no longer post here. Please take Sazerac's advice and post as you would like to. Ronn_Bman obviously wants to see some discussion take place! I'm seeing new faces over there now, or people who left when the forum got heated up last week. Give then a chance to discuss their opinions too.

Sazerac, you made a beautiful post up there. I hope people really read it and take in what you said. It's valuable advice. I too tend to be moderate in my views and not exceptionally political or outspoken. I do NOT think that invalidates my opinions. Extremes aren't the only way to be passionate about our views! I hope everyone who has an interest takes up Ronn_Bman's invitation and checks out the War forum!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."