Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-20-2001, 04:50 PM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hey I have now seen loads and loads of questions about this in the short time that I have been here. While some have been genuinely interesting, most of them have been asked because ppl have been afraid to experiment/lazy to find out. No offense to anyone intended . What I'm saying, is everyone has to start somewhere, just by looking at what files u have and trying to figure out what they do, how, why and when the game uses them. The worst that could happen is that u have to reinstall the game.
If you are really worried and don't want to have to reinstall, just make backups of the important files: dialog.tlk, chitin.key and the worldmap file if u wanna mess around with area editing. You could always make a back-up of your entire override folder (seeing as the patch installs some files in there) and just delete everything if your game cocks up and start again with the backed-up version of the override folder. You should never need to place any edited files outside the override folder because anything that can be overridden will be checked for in the override folder. The only exceptions to this are when u are making MODs and want to have your own special version of dialog.tlk and/or chitin.key etc.
If u're not sure about something-try it out and if the worst happens (which let's face it is not very bad unless u are very very stupid in which case u won't be trying this stuff anyway ), just reinstall the game. However as I said, this shouldn't really be necessary if u make proper backups and try to edit only 1 or 2 things at a time and it certainly won't happen with basic item, spell and kit editing and most other editing.
Any other questions, I can try and answer, although I am just another experimenter like everyone else, so go easy on me.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:52 PM   #2
Raze
The Magister

Vaskez, please can you read my recent post in my "tech help with custom kits"
any advice would be gratefully appreciated
Old 05-20-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I have answered, but it would be good if we could keep questions on here, so they wouldn't have to be answered more than once. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
Raze
The Magister

Ive installed other kits (the psionics one and the anti-paladin) and they work fine (except the dialogue bit again). Ill try the lich again and see if I have any joy.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:17 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well I hope it works for you. It should cos everyone else has said that it works. One thing that might make it crash is later in the game if u have the Mask of Strom (or whatever) in Firkraags dungeon, and u put it on and then u run out of spell points. I use an invisible helmet to disable spellcasting because the parameters for the "restore spellcasting ability" spell effect have not yet been determined and I couldn't get it to work (can't be bothered to experiment further at the moment). So the script might try and place the helmet on your head and if the mask is there, it might crash. that's the only thing cos as far as I am aware there is no other head-gear that amage can wear, no ioun stones? I hope. Oh yeah and stick to one Lich per game cos the global variables have might clash otherwise, but I have made a Local variable version of the scripts, just haven't put it up for download. I will only do this, if there is a demand, although no one has said yet that they wanna use more than one lich in a game and for now, I hope they don't. :]
Old 05-20-2001, 06:16 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well I'm off now. Any questions, just post. I'll try and get back within 24 hours from now.
Old 05-20-2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This can be the "Ask Uncle Vask" thread.

------------------
Old 05-20-2001, 09:25 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
This can be the "Ask Uncle Vask" thread.

Oy, that's enough out of you, you young whipper-snapper!

Old 05-21-2001, 07:51 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

So, no questions then? OK I DON't wanna see any more questions on other threads then or else I'll have ta think y'all can't read! Well u had your chance!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:40 AM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Does "hex code" mean the words used to cast an evil spell? If you do something "with scripts" is that like "con-scription"? ("con" = "with" in Spanish). I can't think of any more stupid questions with which to pester anyone right now.

Anyway, Vaskez is absolutely correct folks---experiment. You'll learn more in one hour of trying things yourself than in one day of instruction.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....