Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 12-03-2001, 11:27 AM   #1
Sark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm curious.... does one need to be versed in the previous Wizardrys for Wiz8, and/or, does one need to be a pretty serious rpg'er for the game?

I got W&W a couple of months back, had some fun with it, addicted for a while but not doing rpgs since U5/Bards Tale.... got frustrated at W&W for lack of knowledge on my part. Have now picked up Wiz8, installed it, read the manual and think I may be out of my depth. (Will admit to some disappointment on the contents, remembering cloth maps, color books, ankh from Ultima stuff)

Insight/thoughts would be appreciated.
Sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:45 AM   #2
Werdna
Dungeon Master

First: Congrats on obtaining one of the finest RPG's ever crafted. I know you'll enjoy it, even without the cloth maps! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Now then, as to your question. No, you don't have to know anything about the previous wizardys to thoroughly enjoy the game. It is in fact made with the assumption that everyone is playing it from a "newbie" perspective. Everything is well laid out, and there are only a couple of obscure "old wiz" references in there, and you can ask us about those! You don't have to be a serious RPG-er to enjoy it, either. Although if you aren't, then modifying your characters stats when you level up might give you some problems. Again, ask us here on this board. We'd be glad to help!
Now, go play. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Merkin
Manshoon

I'm starting to think that this might be the finest rpg ever created. I'm a newbie as well to Wizardry, the game really doesn't assume that you know anything about the previous games. But it seems like there are some "in-jokes" and easter eggs for the vets.

I disagree with Werdna about one thing, though. I think someone who didn't enjoy serious, old-school rpg's would have a tough time liking this one. Anyone who's rpg experience is limited to Diablo/Darkstone type "rpg-lite" games, is going to run screaming in terror from Wiz 8. Even for an rpg vet, mastering party balance, leveling up, and game system nuances is a challenge, but one I'm finding a hell of a lot of fun!
Old 12-03-2001, 03:55 PM   #4
MagiK

If you take the time to RTFM and understand it then you will do fine [img]smile.gif[/img] This is an out=standing game really it is.

(RTFM=Read the (fine) manual)

Old 12-03-2001, 04:56 PM   #5
ThulsaDoom
Elite Waterdeep Guard

just picked up my copy yesterday ...i called in sick today and i feel like taking the rest of the week off because of this game .
[IMG]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LwAAAMYQMYfrPzxx4N8BjQGPBvuf94c7H3IP8gyZvgsrGELba TVmO*ckw5SnXgbpcdbGKCGvVsk/Conan2.jpg[/IMG] <i>\"What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength in your body, the desire in your heart, I gave you this! Such a waste. Contemplate this on the tree of woe. Crucify him!\"</i>
ThulsaDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:14 PM   #6
Merkin
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
If you take the time to RTFM and understand it then you will do fine [img]smile.gif[/img]

I couldn't agree with you more, MagiK, but in my experience only true rpg'ers ever bother to RT*ferklempt*M
Old 12-03-2001, 09:49 PM   #7
Aeolian
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by ThulsaDoom:
just picked up my copy yesterday ...i called in sick today and i feel like taking the rest of the week off because of this game .

lol! i did that yesterday, and i'm thinking of taking tomorrow off as well.
Aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 09:53 AM   #8
Virgil
Dungeon Master

Wizardry 8 is a challenging game. At times, you will face what seem like overwhelming odds. As a beginner, don't feel overly daunted by this. Everyone has the same challenges, you're not doing anything wrong. You will probably want to start the game at least 3 or 4 different times. Play through Arnika or Trynton, then figure out if you like the party and want to keep going with it, or want to try something different.

The game is truly great, one of the best I've played recently, and I play all the RPGs. Good luck with it.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:18 AM   #9
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by ThulsaDoom:

LOL I thought I was the only one who did that kind of thing [img]smile.gif[/img] hehehe well not really other people I work with do that too [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 10:22 AM   #10
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Virgil:
Wizardry 8 is a challenging game. At times, you will face what seem like overwhelming odds. As a beginner, don't feel overly daunted by this. Everyone has the same challenges, you're not doing anything wrong. You will probably want to start the game at least 3 or 4 different times. Play through Arnika or Trynton, then figure out if you like the party and want to keep going with it, or want to try something different.

The game is truly great, one of the best I've played recently, and I play all the RPGs. Good luck with it.

I agree about party composition testing here, I started 3 different parties ran them all the way to Trynton before starting a revised party and settled for the following.

Male Human Lord
Femals Human Samauri
Male Human Ranger
Male Human Gadgeteer (I love the gadgets...lava lamp concept is hilarious)
Female Human Bishop
Female Elven Mage.

Good Gaming to you and don't feel bad if you have to reload...many times....I certainly have had to.