Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-10-2001, 09:21 PM   #11
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Personally I think they suck. We do have one however, which was lucky for us over the labor day weekend. Our normal phone was out (that's why I wasn't here all labor day weekend, not that anyone probably noticed) and the phone company refused to fix the problem until the following Tuesday(they caused it because they were working on the lines on friday). We used the cell phone all weekend long.

I might add that Bellsouth service really sucks. Our phone didn't work and our neighbors all around us had real staticy lines. On tuesday, two of my neighbors phones completely went out. They both noticed the lineman that was working on our problem and went outside to tell him (both had already called the problem in from their cell phones). He informed them that he was not the cause of the problem and that even though he was here, he couldn't work on their phones until the office told him too. Never mind that we all come off the same pole. He would need a work order.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:45 PM   #12
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Once again we see congress trying to regulate intelligence and common sense.
Not there is alot of it evident in congress. How ever I have a cell phone.
I use it. I live in a very Rural area and I have used it to call for aid for others. I don't have a hands free device. But then again I don't have a hands free device for my radio, AC, rear veiw mirror, or stick shift.
Recently studies have shown that things outside of the car account for more accidents than anything else. Maybe we should regulate pretty girls in mini skirts? Or Hunky guys with no shirts.

The whole thing boils down to personal responsibility. Congress is just doing what they think will get them votes. Knee-jerk politics at it's best.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:13 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I need to use my phone in the car for work. I am on conference calls almost everyday on the way in and when I'm in the field for any reason. I do have a speakerphone set up through the car stereo though, so I don't have to take a hand off the wheel.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-10-2001, 11:02 PM   #14
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

We have cell phones for my wife and driving daughter (youngest gets license mid Oct.) for emergencies. But if you ever here of me getting a cell phone you have my permission to call the State mental Hosptial, because I'll have lost it.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-11-2001, 12:01 AM   #15
G'kar

My parents travel around the U.S. 3 weeks out of a month and it is nice that I can call them, whether they are driving through Missouri or California. I see no problem with driving while talking on a cel, though dialing, or looking up a number is definitly disracting. Voice recognition technology is going to handle those complaints soon any way. I think penalties for poor/dangerous driving should be handled on a case by case basis, not by blanket laws.
I live near Boston, the bad-driver capital of the free world and cel-phone talkers are the least of my problems.

Old 09-11-2001, 02:24 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Australia has the highest number of mobile phones per capita, after Finland I believe. It is illegal here to use mobiles while driving unless you have a hands-free kit and that's the way I think it should be (though everyone flouts this rule ). Especially if you've got a stickshift.

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 05:36 AM   #17
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
It is illegal here to use mobiles while driving unless you have a hands-free kit and that's the way I think it should be.
Same rule here in Germany, although I don't know about hands-free devices. I don't drive (doh), I don't have a cell phone and I really, really dislike speaking on the telephone so I won't be causing any problems in the near future . I also agree that there is a chance that a phone call will distress you so much that you can't keep your mind on driving. It is not probable that putting on makeup does that. I really think it is best to allow cell phones in the car (in case of an emergency or so) but if you want to call someone or answer a car first stop driving. Just my 2 Euro-cents.
EDIT: And I thought the bad-driving (or at least angry driving) capital of the world was Paris. no offense to anybody from Paris here.

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-11-2001).]