Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 12-04-2001, 07:32 AM   #11
dominions
Elminster

Stephen King? Hmmm...

Most of the books I like, but am not completely wild about. The only ones not to fall into this category are:

[WARNING! Possible Spoilers below]

Novellas
I bought a novella that contained Shawshank Redemption (I hadn't heard of this one up 'till now, can you believe?), The Body (enjoyed this one - urghhh! Leeches!), The Breathing Method(?) (not nice! but a good read), and The Pupil (I didn't enjoy this one - not because of poor writing, but because of the subject matter (Nazis & corruption))
IT
This is one of the best books I've read by Stephen King. And was made into one of the worst films.
Pet Cemetry
This one I'll NEVER forget. I could not put it down - but it made me sooo depressed (the kid's funeral)! An excellent book. Very griping.

The films, on the other hand, are generally AWFUL! I haven't seen all of them, but of the ones I've seen they have done a complete hatchet job (i.e. cut out the good bits and left the rest).
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:18 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Hmm, I *do* recall having seen the movie version of "The Body" once, but it must have been years even before I read that short story... Can't really recall the name of the movie anymore, but I believe it wasn't such a bad film. Of course, there wasn't much of the really wacky Stephen King stuff going on in it...
Old 12-06-2001, 07:25 AM   #13
dominions
Elminster

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Grojlach:
Hmm, I *do* recall having seen the movie version of "The Body" once, but it must have been years even before I read that short story... Can't really recall the name of the movie anymore, but I believe it wasn't such a bad film. Of course, there wasn't much of the really wacky Stephen King stuff going on in it... <hr></blockquote>

I think the film version was called 'Stand By Me'. This caused me loads of problems because I saw the film first and then went looking for the book (a friend who's quite mad about Stephen King helped me out in the end).
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
Old 12-06-2001, 07:30 AM   #14
Grojlach
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dominions:

I think the film version was called 'Stand By Me'. This caused me loads of problems because I saw the film first and then went looking for the book (a friend who's quite mad about Stephen King helped me out in the end).
<hr></blockquote>

Even stranger, I saw the movie when I was *very* young and never even heard of Stephen King in my entire life, let alone read any of his novels. I really liked the movie though, and I was quite surprised when I suddenly stumbled upon "The Body" in the 4 Seasons Short Story novel some years later; I never suspected it *was* a Stephen King novel until I read it. But it was a pleasant surprise, though.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:45 AM   #15
dominions
Elminster

Even stranger, I saw the movie when I was *very* young and never even heard of Stephen King in my entire life, let alone read any of his novels. I really liked the movie though, and I was quite surprised when I suddenly stumbled upon "The Body" in the 4 Seasons Short Story novel some years later; I never suspected it *was* a Stephen King novel until I read it. But it was a pleasant surprise, though.
<hr></blockquote>

Apparently Stephen King had a bit of trouble convincing his publicists to publish 4 Seasons - it wan't 'true horror' and they didn't like the idea of novellas. He managed convince them and they have been pleasantly suprised by the popularity of these short stories.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:12 AM   #16
Grojlach
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dominions:

Apparently Stephen King had a bit of trouble convincing his publicists to publish 4 Seasons - it wan't 'true horror' and they didn't like the idea of novellas. He managed convince them and they have been pleasantly suprised by the popularity of these short stories.
<hr></blockquote>

Well, I guess it says enough 2 of those 4 are made into movies (I thought they did The Pupil as well, but as I never saw that one, I'm not sure about it). And really, when you make those novels into a movie, it's also a lot more convincing than The Tommyknockers for instance; novels like that don't really translate well...
Just from the top of my head, a few other Stephen King movies/short tv series I recall:
The Langoliers; another short story, and one of the first tv versions I ever saw from a Stephen King novel. The script was very close to the novellized version for a change, and I kinda liked it - though the Langoliers itself looked painfully fake.
The Green Mile; I must admit the novel was even better than the movie was, perhaps my favourite Stephen King novel of all time with a very emotional ending, a part they didn't include in the movie btw. The movie was nice, but not as good.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:58 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

Well, I guess it says enough 2 of those 4 are made into movies (I thought they did The Pupil as well, but as I never saw that one, I'm not sure about it). And really, when you make those novels into a movie, it's also a lot more convincing than The Tommyknockers for instance; novels like that don't really translate well...
Just from the top of my head, a few other Stephen King movies/short tv series I recall:
The Langoliers; another short story, and one of the first tv versions I ever saw from a Stephen King novel. The script was very close to the novellized version for a change, and I kinda liked it - though the Langoliers itself looked painfully fake.
The Green Mile; I must admit the novel was even better than the movie was, perhaps my favourite Stephen King novel of all time with a very emotional ending, a part they didn't include in the movie btw. The movie was nice, but not as good.
<hr></blockquote>

The Pupil was definitely made into a film - I saw it not so long ago, it was called Apt Pupil as I recall.

Haven't seen the Langoliers - I enjoyed the story though.

Dolores Claiborne and Misery were both good movies IMO, I missed them from my earlier list. The Running Man was OK as gorefests go.

In general I prefer the books.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:39 PM   #18
Virgil
Dungeon Master

Don't forget the Running Man, although that was under King's pseudonym (can't remember it off the top of my head). The film had almost no relation to the book, other than the premise of a game show featuring a man being hunted down (wasn't ABC considering this for a reality show a few months back?). The book was much more serious, with the man fleeing through society, while in the movie, there was an elaborate trapped arena, and comic book type superhero/villain hunters coming after him.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:09 AM   #19
Grojlach
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Virgil:
Don't forget the Running Man, although that was under King's pseudonym (can't remember it off the top of my head). The film had almost no relation to the book, other than the premise of a game show featuring a man being hunted down (wasn't ABC considering this for a reality show a few months back?). The book was much more serious, with the man fleeing through society, while in the movie, there was an elaborate trapped arena, and comic book type superhero/villain hunters coming after him.<hr></blockquote>

King's pseudonym was Richard Bachman, IIRC.
But erm, I don't really recall the Running Man... I remember having read a Stephen King novel called The Marathon or something, about a marathon where the participants actually had to run for their lives, since those who gave up got shot. And the marathon continued until only one person was left. Great novel. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 09:46 AM   #20
Virgil
Dungeon Master

I remember the Marathon. That was a pretty harsh story, but I liked it.

They republished four books by Bachman under one title ten years or so back. It included the Marathon, the Running Man and two others.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote