Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I decided to re-install bg2 today, just wanted to play it. Never had ANY problems with it before. However, my lucky streak came to an end, I installed, in this order:
BG2
Offical Patch
Baldurdash
Ease of Use
Unfinished Business

I started the game and nothing, a black screen. I alt-tabbed out, bg2 was still running, and it was not marked as non-responsive. I then thought it might be a mod conflict or I had installed them in the wrong order. Anyway, I removed them in reverse order one by one, trying to launch each time with the same result. When I was just left with BG2 and the patch and fix pack I restored the following files:

dialog.tlk
chitin.key
baldur.ini
bgmain.exe
override folder

which I had made a copy of before installing mods, same result. Finally I uninstalled the game and emptied the folder completely, and re-installed bg2, without any patches, just off the DVD. Again, just the balck screen, although it did not crash back to desktop and again was still 'running' according to the task manager.

Any ideas? Help greatly appreciated.

[ 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Duagloth Duskryn
Dungeon Master

I had exactly the same Problem with BG 1. You start the game, a black screen, no music and no Error message...
I cleaned my pc from all the rubbish, all the little programms nobody uses and reinstalled it. And it works, i havent done anything special i could remember...

May be my advise isnt really helpfull for you, but i just dont know an other solution for this problem, sry.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Have you changed CP's? OS's? DirectX? Got an AV running? Load up BG2 with the AV off, maybe?!?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I think I installed XP in the period since I uninstalled bg2, could it be a compatibility issue there maybe? I'll try that win98 mode.

I'll also try stopping all my anti spyware/virus protection etc. I'll do that tommorow, its getting late and I'm frustrated enough.

ANd that is exactly what is happening Duagloth Duskryn, at first I thought the intro movie was taking a while to load.

Anyway, i'll see what happens in the morning.

[ 07-22-2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Old 07-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Well, nothing, exactly the same thing, except once when I checked run in win 98 compatability mode and run in 640x480 resoltuion it went black, but just as i was about to quit the DVD drive started whirrung and after it finished i was left with the main screen (single player, mulitplayer, options, that one), without seeing the movies and with the hand pointer stuck in the top left corner, not responding to my mouse movements. APart from that, just black screens again.

:sigh:

Matbe a full install would help, might be a problem reading the disk? probably clutching at straws here...
Old 07-23-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Try toggling 3d acceleration off. Also try running it in a window.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

OK, this time I tried a full install, and all seemed to be going well, the movie start, however, things went down hill, the music didn't play and the game didn't respond to mouse or keyboard commands to skip the movie and when it got to the main screen the mouse was stuck in the top left again, it was as if the computer didn't think I was actually in that programme at the time, and the game was running in the background. THis makes me think its a windows thing, or something wrong with my PC. BTW when I ran the config on the first start up it said setting were compatible and I ran the game at min spec just to be sure it wasn't that.

On a side note IWD2 works fine, since it was the same engine etc I thought this might be relevant.

Oh, and how do you get it to run in a window? I haven't need to do it with a programme for so long I've forgotten.

[ 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Old 07-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It should be hiding under advanced video options in the BG config somewhere. I'm just straw clutching to be honest, any problem like that for me has always be fixed by changing whether the game is 3d accelerated or not.

[ 07-23-2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Well, the game runs, but it won't respond to my commands. I've given up really, unless anyone else has had the same problemand knows how to solve it I don't think i'll be getting it to work. I'll try the trouble-shooting FAQ on the Bioware website again for this new problem.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
Pop 'n Fresh
Manshoon

Windows XP??

Wizards and Warriors has errors when running under Windows Xp as well.

Call The Company. Probably got no idea but it's worht a try. Check where they are located first, we dont want a phone call costing $35 : >
[img]\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5936/sbadfurday00037fg.png\" alt=\" - \" /><br />BRING ME SOME SWEETCORN!<br /><br />What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of klingons
Pop 'n Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote