Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-26-2001, 05:49 PM   #21
Sir_Tainly

Rikard - Some of the Norse/Celtic/Saxon gods get a little confusing as often is the same god, same name but corrupted to local dialect eg. wodin/wotan/wuotan etc.

Melusine - "

Roman equivalent: Mercurius or Mercury for you English-speaking Latin-deformers,"

pretty harsh from someone who's country did their level best to introduce irregularities ito our language! Did you know "yacht" was originally written "yot" in English as it's pronounced. But since the Dutch printed alot of the books for England, they used to change English speelings to Dutch ones. No wonder nothing's pronounced like it's spelt!

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 03-26-2001, 06:02 PM   #22
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Rikard - Some of the Norse/Celtic/Saxon gods get a little confusing as often is the same god, same name but corrupted to local dialect eg. wodin/wotan/wuotan etc.
Melusine - "

Roman equivalent: Mercurius or Mercury for you English-speaking Latin-deformers,"

pretty harsh from someone who's country did their level best to introduce irregularities ito our language! Did you know "yacht" was originally written "yot" in English as it's pronounced. But since the Dutch printed alot of the books for England, they used to change English speelings to Dutch ones. No wonder nothing's pronounced like it's spelt!

SirTainly: the first is true of almost all mythologies: Wuotan/Wodan etc but what about Ishtar/Inanna/Astarte/Artemis... they all come from the same root! So that's not confusing...you could just use the official English spelling if you like
On the second point, you forgot to include my smiley which takes the harshness away IMHO. BTW About the Dutch influences in English, I'd say 1. they are much more obvious in Scots and 2. what about the thrice as big English influences in Dutch!
I think yacht is pretty much an exceptional case, have you ever considered how many words have 'g' sounds in them that aren't pronounced, like in Knight, through, night, thorough, thought? These are not from Dutch but from Old English which does have connections with "Dutch" (its predecessor actually) but more so with Frisian (which I assure you doesn't sound like Dutch in the least)

Wolfie: Doh! Read my posts above! (re: osiris, looking up myths, Lovecraft etc.) It's all there! So you're a Lovecraft reader too?
I think you are totally right in calling Loke/Loki a Chaotic Neutral char, though I would include "with evil tendencies". I know it was more like mischief to him than like real evil, but by others (the other gods of the Norse pantheon but especially by christianity) he was seen as a sort of archetype for Satan.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-26-2001, 06:07 PM   #23
Melusine
Dracolisk

SirTainly: Also I forgot to mention it but it simply is a fact that Greek and especially Latin words have stayed much closer to their original forms in Dutch and German than in English. Even my nativespeaking Professor of Lit. agreed with me on that. Consider spellings and pronunciations like Homer, Ovid, Virgil, Mercury, Vulcan, Iliad where Dutch has Homeros, Ovidius, Vergillius, Mercurius, Vulkanos, Ilias.

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-26-2001, 06:14 PM   #24
Sir_Tainly

I was only being light-hearted Melusine, maybe I should have included more smileys of my own

Good points though, I find the development of language a very interesting subject. Most of the Latin based words in English either come via French, or were simply created to fill out English. In the Renaisance period English scholars decided to add words from Latin to distinguish "learned" peoples' speech from that of the commoners, whose language was many Anglo-Saxon/old English based.

No hard feelings intended.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick

Old 03-26-2001, 06:23 PM   #25
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
SirTainly: Also I forgot to mention it but it simply is a fact that Greek and especially Latin words have stayed much closer to their original forms in Dutch and German than in English. Even my nativespeaking Professor of Lit. agreed with me on that. Consider spellings and pronunciations like Homer, Ovid, Virgil, Mercury, Vulcan, Iliad where Dutch has Homeros, Ovidius, Vergillius, Mercurius, Vulkanos, Ilias.

BTW Vulkanos in Latin is Vulcan, they're the ones responsible for the corruption here

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick

Old 03-26-2001, 06:41 PM   #26
Melusine
Dracolisk

SirTainly, no hard feelings here either!
Re your comment on the 'learned scholars', did you notice that a *lot* of English verbs have two versions; a simple Germanic version (often with 'up', 'in', 'on') and a difficult Latinate version?
bury - inhume
lighten up, enlighten - illume
anger - infuriate
put in - insert

There are Latin counterparts for almost every normal Germanic verb. Of course they're sometimes not wholly equivalent.
The development of language also interests me a great deal (I study English lit. with a special interest in Old English, Middle English and language development). I am currently also following a course o Global English, i.e. the Englishes of the world, creoles, pidgins etc. Very interesting stuff!

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-26-2001, 06:52 PM   #27
Sir_Tainly

yep I had noticed the parallels but not only with verbs also nouns and adjectives too

Shipping - navigation (Schiff vs Navis)
Manly - virile (mann vs vir)

I'll stop as the list is almost endless. I'm pretty sure that the idea was to separate the scholar from the rabble, if you look right back in history this is a very British custom. Even the Druids used to write in Greek, so as their followers would never become as learned. (it might have just been Greek characters they used not the whole language, I don't quite remember).

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick