Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #101
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Landon Contressior:
how about we lower the tax just a bit
Two reasons why I don't think that will happen:
Firstly, it wuold be counter-intuitive to the government plans to reduce smoking. If the tax is raised, they're harder to get, less people will take up smoking. If the tax is lowered, on the other hand, cigarettes will be easier to get, and people will be encouraged to smoke. This would make an irresponsible government (for lowering taxes, of all things), and they don't want any more such labels. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Secondly, lowering tax is something that no government is realy all that good at...
Old 11-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #102
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:

Firstly, it wuold be counter-intuitive to the government plans to reduce smoking.
This may be the only time when governments have a reasonable argument for raising taxes ... or at least for not lowering them.

Although, on that note, if a government is going to claim that it taxes a dangerous product out of a moral obligation to its people, it might as well just ban it and be done with the matter.

(Though, in all honesty, we all know how well banning things works ... )
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #103
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Landon Contressior:
the Onl thing a Higher tax is going to do is make us smokers angery, and then you will hear lots of comlaining, people get hurt, and tis all a big mess, how about we lower the tax just a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Man, order them online! PM me and I will send you the site I get them from LEGALLY TAX-FREE. I just got two cartons in the mail with no tax stamps on the bottom and I payed half of what I did before when I bought them in the store. $30.00 a cartoon for the specialty brand American Spirits that I smoke, less than twenty bucks for regular brands like Marlboros and less than ten bucks a carton for some generics.

[ 11-29-2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 11-30-2004, 12:34 AM   #104
Salah Al-Din
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You know that smoking is illegal in some towns in my country yet I think some people still selll them illegaly. TMy uncle told me about it that it was like this underground place wwere the guy hid cigeretes but at least it isnt in the public areas so its not forced upon those who dont want it. By the way this ban is imposed by the locales not the government.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 AM   #105
Landon Contressior
Dungeon Master

I don't really understand how that local ban works. it seems like the citizens are taking matters into there own hands and infringing on the rights of others. Smoking Isn't Going To Go Away! not with a ban, and not with a restriction. Even if you have a non-smoking establishment, poeple will be holding people out the window by their ankles so they can smoke.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:07 AM   #106
wellard
Dracolisk

No body is going to BAN smoking. The idea is ridiculous and as history shows it will not work. All that is trying to be done is to stop people smoking in enclosed spaces making the rest of us suffer.

Instead of making yourself feel a victim how about thinking about all the damage you are doing to others if not yourself. But I guess like many smokers it is all self, self, self

Smokers have been infringing on the rights and destroying the health of others for years and now things are changing some have the audacity to cry like babies! Excuse me while I laugh and say tough! If you don’t like feeling like a picked upon drug addict, just stop smoking!

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 AM   #107
coyote696
The Magister

You Know I said this before, and i will say it again there are way too many prejudices around. smokers that i know are not blaming nonsmokers for ther out of this world high tax we pay for our smokes. the smokers are not trying to tell you that you should smoke. we are not telling you where you can and cannot go and we dont ask you to stay out of our businesses or propriety, but thats just hoiw things are biggots that lose one fight must turn to another, and another. you see biggotry comes in many forms.

If you dont know me and you form an opinion about ther type of person i am because i smoke cigars or cigarettes, that is predujice, and if thats how you judge people then I am sorry for your shallowness. Luckilly not everyone feels this way and not everyone wants to, as for raising taxes. I want to be the devil's advocate for a second,

THERE COMES A MOVEMENT THAT SAYS : HMMMM KIDS BRAINS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SHOULD BE BECAUSE OF PLAYING RPG'S AND OTHER GAMES ONLINE/ OFFLINE.
THE ACCESS IT JUST TOO EASY FOR THEM . LETS RAISE TAXES TO 400% OF THE COST AND GO UP 25% EVERY 3 MONTHS FRONM THERE TIL WE STOP ALL SALES.

that wouldnt be very much fun andf surely wouldnt be fare to gamers but thats what is happening to smokers and their rights for the last 15 years and if you think that this could not happen to you you are nuts all that has to happen is the right politicians get a hold on it, its in congress and then its law before you even knoiw its happening.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 AM   #108
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Answer = Slap a higher tax on cigs to subsidize products to help people quit.... simple
Wrong, it will increase illegal cigarette business. People will no longer buy them in a regular store, but from John Doe on the streetcorner. Don't forget that most people DON'T WANT to quit, and i'm one of them.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM   #109
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Okay, so I've avoided this thread for a while, what with being a nonsmoker who detests it (has a horrible habit of irritating my eyes)...but really, smoking has existed for thousands of years, right? If people want to smoke, they will, and really, they have the right to make that choice. Nonsmokers shouldn't be quick to judge smokers. Now, if the smoker's life revolves around the [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img] , it can cause some social damage to him or her, but that's their choice, ESPECIALLY if you think democracy should be fair...

[img]graemlins/braveheart.gif[/img]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #110
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

while we are banning unhealthy things that are being "forced" upon others, why not ban perfumes and coloagnes? it make me have truble breating when I walk into anyplace and am overwhelmed by all the different fragrances around. oh and the use of cell phones in public places, it is so annyong to try and talk to someone while you are hearing phones ringing everywhere...oh and while we are at it....