Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #21
quietman1920

I work in a large corporation in what you might call an 'Ethics & Policy' department. I make sure that people know the regulatory guidelines and I do my best to make sure people abide by them.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #22
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm a shyster.

For a HS student, as Felix mentioned, construction jobs or jobs in factories will pay the best. Factory jobs are hard at that age, but I know kids that did the swing shift every day. In Kentucky around this time of year you could pick up lots of hours doing season tobacco harvest work for really good pay. Backbreaking labor, but you're young so what do you care. It's also the time of year when local shopping malls are hiring holiday season temps.

Avoid the food industry if you can. Malls close at 9pm, but Wendy's is "open late" according to the commercial. I always did fast food and waiting talbes, and I always reeked of restaurant smell at night. The only way I would advise working in the food industry is waiting tables in a high volume place in a decent-sized city, because the money's good -- if you're willing to hustle a lot.

My HS was great about the kids working. I moved from one school where no one worked, to one where more than 50% of the kids who had cars had bought them on their own. I always respected that community much more than the other one.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #23
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm currently studying physics at the university here in Utrecht. I believe some big names in Superstring theory come from here, or was it the standardmodel? Veltman and Hooft anyone?

Anyway, This is my first year, so far, it's still not much harder than high school...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #24
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Homemaker. Not a good job for the high schoolers.
I worked in the food industry for 10 years, from 17 to 27 approx..
Like Timber said, stay away!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #25
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Most people who are at school either get kitchen porter/waiter type jobs, or work for their parents (if you are lucky enough to enjoy the profession they do and they have a job)

I would also suggest looking out for jobs at local shows. Some pay real good. eg. £75 in two days for 14 hours work to open a gate. Thats what I call nice! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #26
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

I'm currently unemployed but sometimes I work extra(or part time, don't quite know what to call it) folding paperboxes in a warehouse. Its boring and tiresome but the pay is kinda good.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #27
Stratos
Vampire

I'm a student.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #28
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm a university tutor in a first year psych course. I shape young minds! It's so rewarding [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #29
Gxc
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
Are you at all into computers, Gxc?

I got my CCNA from the community college when I was in high school, and got a part time job as an assistant network administrator at the same college

That was good work -- hard, but awesome money. I made way more money in high school than I'm getting now...
yeah im into computers. That sounds tight though, sorry that i didnt reply earlier.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #30
Gxc
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Restaurants, retail, manual labor, services... if you want, go to your local mall and start asking for applications. I did that in my youth, and in one afternoon, with only stopping in at around thirty stores (one after the other), I got two jobs -- a food store and the movies.

One suggestion: print up a sheet with your basic information (name, address, school background, references, etc.) to bring with you. That can save you a lot of time in filling out applications.

Note: Don't ask if they're accepting applications. Instead, ask for an application. Minor sales technique, but you don't want to ask a yes/no question unless you know the answer already.
Cool. My sister worked at the moives but the movies here people dont get paid well. Thanks for the tip also. Ill probably work at this hardware store that is down the street from me.