Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #11
Jorath Calar
Harper

First of all when giving a virus warning, you have to tell what the virus/worm/whatever is called. Second you need to give a reliable source for the warning (link to a official warning) and third, don't tell people to warn everybody.

If you don't follow this then about 80% of people with average computer knowlegde will ignore your warning and think it's a hoax.

[ 03-31-2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
Son of Osiris

Thanks for the warning

Old 03-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i'm not worried at all, because i never ever open any e-cards or whatever e-mail i find with attachments to begin with, unless i expect something from someone. Everything goes directly down the trash can.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

This seems to be a hoax. I imagine you were informed of it by a chain email from a trusted friend. An old hoax to incite panic is that software can somehow destroy your hardware. Outside of running the components constantly to induce premature wear and tear, this is improbable if not impossible.

Neither Mcafee or Norton list this as a current threat. The only current threats are Netsky and Bagle variants.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #15
Ehrys
Manshoon

It is a hoax actually. Probably started by a wanna-be script-kiddie. Odd thing is, out of the 10 so called "script-kiddies" I've busted over the years, only 2 of them were "kids."

Bagle and NetSky are only medium security threats at this point.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #16
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Outside of running the components constantly to induce premature wear and tear, this is improbable if not impossible.
ummm, no. if you wrote a virus to flash the mobo + graphics card bios'es on reboot with junk data, that would kill both. no coming back from that . new mobo time.

this does sound like a hoax though, real virus warnings can almost always be corroborated by an antivirus company. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 AM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Outside of running the components constantly to induce premature wear and tear, this is improbable if not impossible.
ummm, no. if you wrote a virus to flash the mobo + graphics card bios'es on reboot with junk data, that would kill both. no coming back from that . new mobo time.

this does sound like a hoax though, real virus warnings can almost always be corroborated by an antivirus company. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I've thought about that, but never heard of it being done. Could it be done? The virus would have to be specific to a certain make of PC at the very least.

Also, flashing the BIOS memory doesn't technically destroy the hardware, although it can be said it effectively does by rendering it inoperative. Flash memory can always be rewritten with the proper equipment. It's just that the boards these days aren't designed with removable chips. You could remove the violated chip, install a socket and another preprogrammed or reprogrammed flash chip if you're proficient with a soldering iron and parts/service are available.