Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-30-2000, 09:04 PM   #1
Eddie

I have a problem...when I started the game I was running Windoes ME, and due to no drivers for ME my video card my computer kept locking up. When I uninstalled ME and went back to Win 98, I cannot see the towns, which also means I cannot go into any shops or anything. I can load saved games and can play in the woods, temple, etc. But I cannot do anything in any towns. I am in contact with tech support at Activision, but so far we have been unable to solve the problem. If anyone else has had this problem, how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Eddie G

Old 10-30-2000, 10:32 PM   #2
AugustHeat

ive had MAJOR problems with windows me and my TNT 2 video card..i contacted activision about it and they were VERY helpfull..they told me to download the detenator 2! driver instead of the 3 which is newer..well now i can run in d3d mode without any lockups but in the towns my performance is very slow and i can read all the stats in the shops.for items and such..hes getting back to me for a fix..but if you have a tnt2 card try the det 2 drivers..hope that help..oh btw..lowest setting in d3d mode 640 works fine..but io told him id like to run higher

Old 10-31-2000, 10:49 AM   #3
Alpengluehen

I had the same problem... you have to turn on the video compression in the windows setup... now it shows the towns just fine.

Old 10-31-2000, 06:23 PM   #4
Eddie

How do I turn on video compression?

Old 10-31-2000, 06:40 PM   #5
Kate
Welcomed New User

I tried windows ME but had loads of problems with games (Including Revenant and Magic) and all the tech support people at various companies said that they weren't supporting games under ME just yet. I'm using a GE-Force graphics card by the way which uses the same drivers as the TNT. In the end I uninstalled ME becaused it caused too many problems. ME installs direct X 7.1 which you can't get anywhere else as far as I can see and I wondered if this version of direct X was causing problems.
I didn't have W & W at that time so I don't know it there would be problems but I won't be re-installing ME in a hurry.
Old 11-01-2000, 02:50 AM   #6
Alpengluehen

I dont know if this works for ME, but it worked for me on Windows 98:

1) Go to Start / Settings / Control Panel. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
2) Click the Windows Setup tab.
3) Double-click Multimedia.
4) Find the listing for Video Compression.
5) If it is checked, uncheck it and click OK and then Apply. Reboot your system. Repeat this process but only this time, check Video
Compression.
Press OK. It will ask for the Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.
6) If Video Compression is not checked, check it. Press OK. It will ask for the Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.

Old 11-01-2000, 07:07 AM   #7
Eddie

I have tried everything suggested, and it still doesn't work.

Old 11-01-2000, 10:40 AM   #8
AugustHeat

the video compression is obviously needed..i tried what you suggested last night about unchecking the video compression even though i can see me town..but when i started guess what?!? no town. now..so dont listen to that

Old 11-08-2000, 07:49 AM   #9
Le Bon

Check this: In the game folder of W&W is a subfolder "townavi". Go right there and double click one of the avi-Files. If Windows shows them you have definitly no problems with the compression otherwise you have to install the compression as described in one of the former replys.