Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-04-2001, 02:53 PM   #1
Me

Will a mage in the game, ever be as good as jon irenicus (so fast and deadly), because i finished the game with my main chr as a Mage, nalia as a mage, that mage in meverars hall, aerie, jahera and Anomen.

but none of them even got a good speed at casting spells, they have to rest for about 3 sec between casting magic misiles.
So can you ever be as good a jon??????

Old 09-04-2001, 02:58 PM   #2
rodimus
The Magister

You surely mean the sequences, you watch for example in chapter seven, but I think in battle, he cannot cast that fast, or does he have (spoiler)
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
improved alacrity???
Old 09-04-2001, 03:03 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

Or maybe he just has something like the Robe of Vecna. Anyone can be as powerful as Irenicus, provided you reach a high enough level and have the casting speed to go with it.

Old 09-04-2001, 06:14 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

Yes, how DOES he do it? Is it ever explained why he is so mind-bogglingly good at spellcasting - without the aid of any magical items, it seems?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:04 PM   #5
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

it's never explained, sadly.

if anyone remember's the original Myth Adventures series by robert asprin [sp], mages would prepare spells ahead of time and "hang" them, meaning everything but the final trigger was completed, thus almost instant spells. i suppose jon has something like that.

game mechanics-wise, there's an effect with two parameters (effects can be given to items, like stun, or as innate abilities) that sets the "spells per round". obviously the default is 1 with the 2nd parameter at zero. i discovered that if you set the spell/round at zero, instead, and put 1 in the otherwise unused slot, spells are cast one per second and with no delay till the next. i havent looked at jon's .CRE file but that has to be it.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:40 PM   #6
ShinobiShaw

Comments:

What mr Jon is using for those who dont know are Spell Triggers and Chain Contigencies. A spell not available to the game called Permancy allows you to store spells like this so that you can call them at wish. Its a high level spell of course. It is possible for Jon Irenicus to be able to utter spell triggers and release a good 10-20 spells at once. I dont know why they didnt give you access to all the spells in the Forgotten Reamls setting. I would of loved to kick ass with The Simbul's synesodrower.

Old 09-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #7
Lestat
Manshoon

Yes, with all the contingincies and gizmos you could be as fast as him. He does have this weird ring, I believe, that makes him glow blue and cast really fast.

But still, in the end FMV (or whatever), he just turns and *ZAP*, or more correctly *sizzle*
Old 09-04-2001, 11:31 PM   #8
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Look at like this, there has to be some challenge to overcome. He is an elf who's been around for a longtime and I'm sure has a few tricks up his sleave that most common mages don't... If you get high enough in SOA with the TOB added you can get improved alclarity which lets you cast like a machine gun for 2 rounds. Spell trigger and contengcies spells are a must I think.

Irenicus, sure is one buff elf though...huh!

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-05-2001, 07:28 AM   #9
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

no one can be ironcis hes to good its just a charater that almost
to good you can never be him but close to it , thats possibel
Old 09-05-2001, 01:36 PM   #10
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

**************SPOILER*********************
I think it's probably Elven magic, the last little piece of Elven that is left of Irenicus. He was the best in Suldanessellar and Ellesime is a pretty good caster (but not far as good as Jon). But imagine if your the new Lord of murder, in hell Irenicus his spells were disabled (he couldn't cast anymore) because of a effect that was placed on him by ??Bhaal???!!

------------------
I pledged my vows to Torm - Mirac Honorguard (Undead Hunter)