Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-23-2001, 06:30 PM   #1
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

Look he isnt as poo as everyone says. He is better than minsc by miles, coz of his family blade and armour, and his stalking abilities.

I will agree he is exceptionally boring, with little dialogue of little interest or humour.

Hey does anyone know when TOB is out in U.K and how much it will cost, 20 quid max i hope.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:32 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Valygar has nice dialogue if you also have Jan, and btw, Minsc is AT LEAST as good as Valygar, he's nine times funnier anyway.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

He´s more sincere than Minsc or Jan, which makes him a perfect addition for a party with Jaheira, Keldorn, Aerie and Viconia. If you´re looking for comedians and funny dialogues, get Minsc, Jan, Edwin and Korgan.(And Lilarcor, btw)

------------------
-UCANTZEECALIFORNIAWITHOUTMARLONBRANDOSEYEZ-
Old 07-23-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

his family blade and armor aren't that useful farther in the game. Minsc is cooler, tougher, and can use the rage ability. Also has better stats, and cleric spells later on (AFAIK Valygar doesn't get cleric spells, only a few mage spells)
Old 07-23-2001, 07:57 PM   #5
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Id say sod them both and get Keldorn and Korgan, ToB is out now BTW

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 11:17 AM   #6
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Keldorn has extremely low dexterity. So what if he can use the holy avenger? To me the weapon wasn't all that great... True sight, and remove magic are priest spells, and can be cast be any cleric. Korgan is just not as powerful as Saverok is. Saverok's deathbringer assualt does an extra 200 damage! It works at random intervals but you'll know it when you see it. And you will see it.

By the way both Minsc and valygar are useful in TOB. Everyone should beat the game at least once with Minsc. Don't ask me why. Just choose one though. No one needs *two* rangers!

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:27 AM   #7
JimJ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Maybe Valygar is quiet (he does have interesting dialog about his family), but as a fighter he is virtually unbeatable. I usually just solo with him in most monster rooms. I have him dual wield Celestial Fury and either his own family Katana or the Daystar when he is fighting undead or evil characters. Use his stealth abilities and get the backstab multiplier on the most difficult opponents. Also, he can cast Priest spells just like Minsc. He doesn't use Mage spells, given his family history and his distrust of Magic.

As an earlier post says if you want comedy, you definitely don't want him, Keldorn, or Jaheira. The Lilarcor is the funniest character to me, he talks nonstop thru every battle and when not enough action is happening. "My former owner used to say that I was 'sharp' and 'edgy'...... He was such an ass"
Old 08-14-2001, 01:40 AM   #8
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

Valygar is also very good with two weapon style, the celestial fury, the Crom Faeyr and some boots of speed.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:16 AM   #9
rodimus
The Magister

Carsomyr isn't GOOD??? Its one of the best weapons in the game!!! 50 % Magic Resistence AND Dispell Magic, when it hits. Try it on protected wizards (or monsters) and you'll find out. And its +5, you can hit every opponent (even Kangaxx) with that weapon.

If you fight the silent way, Valgyar is much better than Minsc, cause of the Backstabbing. Sometimes you can make even more Damage than Sarevoks Deathbringer Assault!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 11:05 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Keldorn has extremely low dexterity. So what if he can use the holy avenger? To me the weapon wasn't all that great... True sight, and remove magic are priest spells, and can be cast be any cleric. Korgan is just not as powerful as Saverok is. Saverok's deathbringer assualt does an extra 200 damage! It works at random intervals but you'll know it when you see it. And you will see it.
SPOILER ALERT
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Once you do the Unseeing Eye quest, you'll get the Gloves of Dexterity (actually you get them during the quest). Give them to Keldorn and no more Dex problems there.

Carsormyr is the best sword in the game for a paladin. With Valygar, give him Celestial Fury (Guarded Compound) and let him dual-wield that with his own sword and he's unstoppable.

RBF, you are correct, but only if you have a cleric-heavy party; otherwise, Carsormyr can be a lifesaver.

------------------