Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Just wanted to let you know how this "first timer" is doing.

The last level of Dragon's Eye is a b!tch when you haven't DC'ed your thief. It took me forever to find a safe path through all of those confusion/poison traps.

The battle with Yxunomei was a piece of cake. I was surprised how easy it was after all of the dire warnings about its difficulty. I just stayed in the doorway and quickly downed the two archers I could see with ranged weapons. By the time I had downed them, Yxunomei had descended from her dias. With a couple of Magic Missile blasts and my very nice +2 and +3 melee weapons, she was dead. I didn't even have time to use the Bardic Horn of Valhalla!!!

So, thus far I have DC'ed my Illusionist (at lvl 7) and she has already regained her fighter skills. I am soooo glad I gave her lots of PPs in axe due to the crazy awesome one I found that actually returns to you when you throw it. Now she has three in bow and two in axe. Great ranged weapon capabilities so she can stay in the back. That way, I won't have to worry about armor for her too much. Just keep her well dressed in magic resistant robes.

I'm about halfway through the first part of Severed Hand. I hope it gets more difficult because it is so easy right now. I'm not getting much experience with shadowed ogres and goblins. I could really use it right now, too, because my three remaining fighters are on level 8. Once I get to level 9, I'm DC'ing my thief. I plan on DC'ing my cleric at 10 (since I've been told I'll really need her in HoW) and my druid at 13. Hopefully this will work out.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to Dragon's Eye and cleaning the floor with some Cold Wights for the expo. You guys were right...they are easy fodder once you get the hang of it. If only they would stay away from my poor bard! Those stupid undead seem to find every chink in my defenses and go straight for her! With 50HP, she goes down in a hurry with cold damage.

So, anyway, as you can see, you're advice has not gone without proper application and I haven't completely abandoned IWD for my PS2! :-D

Cary
Old 12-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

That is why the Boots of the North are probably the most important and useful items in the game. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Hmmm, you don't need advice from us, you're doing fine! And yes, Yxonomei is easy if you are experienced in fighting these games with ranged attacks. Why all the DCing? You will soon be at the final boss and you will have characters that won't have their first class back yet. Oh well, pays your money, takes your pick. Enjoy!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Well, I will be working through Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster so I should be able to regain my fighter skills well before I finish all of the expansions. Plus, it is fun to DC...makes you think strategically from the outset.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Yea, that might work. I did HoW but not TotLM so I have no idea how big Luremaster is.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Go ahead and xp camp. The fights in the Hand get tougher, though the only real difficulty I remember in the Hand was archers peppering my mages full of arrows.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:44 AM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, the killer archers can be a big enough difficulty without any help. The towers and the other side of the lower levels can be annoying. Summons and AoE spells are useful. This is a good place to use Confusion and Emotion: Hopelessness.

Camping for XP is not only a good way to gain big XP for little risk, it's also a good way to figure out the best way to use certain spells. It's a great way to experiment with tactics to get the most out of Agannazar's Scorcher, and also to learn the proper range and timing for a Fireball. Do it, by all means. I've never been able to pass that area by without camping to at least get the next level for a key spellcaster or two.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Cary,

The battle with Yxunomei was a piece of cake. I was surprised how easy it was after all of the dire warnings about its difficulty... I didn't even have time to use the Bardic Horn of Valhalla!!!

Sigh.. If the battle with Yux was THAT easy, then you may have progressed beyond the point where anything we know will help you. ~wink~ Actually, in addition to good strategy (which you MUST have had, if Yux was easy), you are starting to feel the effects of a powergaming party.

So, thus far I have DC'ed my Illusionist (at lvl 7) and she has already regained her fighter skills. Great ranged weapon capabilities...

And with 100+ HP and Fighter skills, the monsters aren't clamoring to get in her face, are they? Heh, heh, heh, heh.

I'm about halfway through the first part of Severed Hand. I hope it gets more difficult because it is so easy right now. I'm not getting much experience with shadowed ogres and goblins.

It gets harder; but if you found the battle with Yux easy, it might not get hard enough to challenge your power party. Don't worry, I guarantee you won't be yawning for too long.

Once I get to level 9, I'm DC'ing my thief. I plan on DC'ing my cleric at 10 (since I've been told I'll really need her in HoW) and my druid at 13. Hopefully this will work out

Excellent plan. Later in the game (when you have a F[9]/T[25] you may wish you had DCed the Thief later and maybe even the Cleric, especially if you are also doing TotLM; but many would say the pain of waiting is not worth it.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to Dragon's Eye and cleaning the floor with some Cold Wights for the expo. You guys were right...they are easy fodder once you get the hang of it.

Now you're talking! Go for it!!

If only they would stay away from my poor bard! Those stupid undead seem to find every chink in my defenses and go straight for her! With 50HP, she goes down in a hurry with cold damage

Now aren't you glad that you don't have an SC Mage that has to stand BEHIND the Bard? I am sure you are beginning to appreciate the value of having only one character to protect, and only a semi-weak one (vs. weak) at that. Now you can laugh at the world! When Stoneskin becomes available, give it to her; and, whenever you desire, there will be NO chinks in your party's armor.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
I guarantee you won't be yawning for too long.
Wailing Virgins, Remorhaz, and Spectral Guards come to mind, just to name a few. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

[ 01-07-2005, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

...soooo glad I gave her lots of PPs in axe due to the crazy awesome one I found that actually returns to you when you throw it.

Cary, Aerich, Azred, Dundee, anybody,

Where is this throwing axe, what are its stats, and is it a random item? I have been through all areas Cary has been through at least twice, and I don't remember ever finding such a beast.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote