Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Draygon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is this 1 particular mage inside the Crooked Crane, that is a pain in my butt. How do I get past him? Missle weapons and miscast magic seem to have little effect, once he casts the spell that stops time, I'm toast. Help!
Draygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Welcome to IW! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

I know it was an accident, but delete your other topic, it's a double post.

Do you mean the lich? They always cast timestop. Try hitting it with ranged weapons or a quick spell (like magic missile) to disrupt its spell casting. That lich has some very nice items, so don't turn away from that fight [img]smile.gif[/img] .

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Don't cast any spells of level 5 or lower at any Lich. They're immune to them.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Use a wand of monster summonings to surround him with fodder...he will usually waste some of his more hardcore spells on them during the time stop. (assuming you don't have improved mages/liches installed from tactics)

Running out of the room might help as well, if he summons something nasty. Also will give you some time for his protections to wear off. That always feels a bit cheesy for me though.

Spell Immunity: Necromancy will protect you from Wail of the Banshee which always got me at an early stage from the game (cuz your save vs death rolls might be fairly high)

If he casts protection from magic weapons, hit him with some normal ones. Also they're immune to spell levels 1-5 IIRC so don't bother wasting those slots in offensive ones.

That particular liche can't see through invisibility so improved invisibility is always a good option to foil mages. Spell Immunity: Divination to protect against true sight or something similar. Or the cloak of non-detection.

Depending how desperate you are, you could use some scrolls, but I would definitely try to beat him without as you'll need them later:

If you want to waste some very rare scrolls, then a protection from magic scroll will make you immune to his spells (but stop you casting out) - really wouldn't recommend that for this encounter though.

Protection from Undead is a better option as it's more available and that will prevent him from seeing you. Probably best to cast after the initial dialogue to turn him hostile.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

You could always send a thief in who is hidden in shadows, pick the lock of the treasure chest and steal whats in it.

Run out before the 'mage' casts any spells on you. Then get a magic user in your party to identify the item.

Use its special ability against the 'mage' - see how the fight goes then.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Keep dispel magic handy to get rid of his protections. Lich's have a contingency for spell protections.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #7
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Keep dispel magic handy to get rid of his protections. Lich's have a contingency for spell protections.
Dispel magic won't work aganist the Lich as they are imune to spells level 1-5, although Keldorn's Dispel magic will work because it is counted as an inate ablity.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Dispel magic won't work aganist the Lich as they are imune to spells level 1-5, although Keldorn's Dispel magic will work because it is counted as an inate ablity. [/QUOTE]Same goes for breach as well i'm afraid. I never realised that innate abilities didn't count though Zarr, thanks for that! What about things like Staff of the Magi, would a little tap on the head with that do the trick, or do items count as spells and not innate abilities?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

SotM works.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Uh, Zarr, Dispel Magic ignores the spell level immunity of liches, and works fine against them if your casting level is sufficiently high. To my knowledge, all white spells (Glitterdust and Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere are two exceptions though) ignore Saves, MR, and every other kind of resistance or immunity to spells and magic. The only thing that will stop them are immunities to their particular schools of magic, such as SI: Abjuration for Dispel Magic, or SI: Divination for True Sight.

[ 02-15-2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]