Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-19-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
tehmpus
The Magister

If you're a fan of HeirDalis like I am, post here.

My top 3 reasons for having Heirdalis in the party:

1) Casts spells at a higher level than mages with the same amount of xp.. which makes his Skull Trap spell explode with a very loud boom. His Cone of Cold also is quite impressive. These spells don't have a level limit cap on damage inflicted.

2) Confusion Harp: Heirdalis comes with this item which does an item cast of Confusion 3 times per day. This even affects some creatures that aren't affected by normally cast spells.

3) Lore skill even at half normal. I hate having to actually memorize the identify spell. In real D&D.. identifying items is an all day affair. Heirdalis merely looks at an item, and seems to recall hearing about it's properties in some sort of ancient tale. He rarely fails to ID items even at half normal bard lore.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-19-2001, 01:34 PM   #2
tehmpus
The Magister

Now if I can only improve his INT somehow above 15. Any suggestions?

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-19-2001, 02:57 PM   #3
Lord Exxon

I like Haer'Dalis because of:
-he is a pretty good fighter
-he is nice when it comes to talking etc.
-he has defensive and offensive spin
Now, you wanted to know how to get his int. higher then 15. That you can do easily by using the shadowkeeper.

-----------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Old 10-19-2001, 03:10 PM   #4
StarVid
Elminster

He's a good fighter? Granted, he's a blade, but still, I think as far as fighters go, a straight fighter would better off (and this is even taking into consideration the bard's spellcasting ability). If someone can convince me otherwise of blades, I'm more than willing to listen. Though if this was PnP, a blade would be wicked fun to play.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:16 PM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

of course a fighter will be a better fighter than a blade. thats why he is a fighter, and a blade is a bard. but the bard CAN cast spells, identify items, has some cool abilities, and has a bardsong that can drastically improve your characters. hell, even a first level bard song is a nice addition to a combative group. bards make good backup mages, and can pick pockets, so you dont have to put those points into your other thieves (like my main character, and elven fighter/thief). granted, i dont use him much, because i use two of my own characters. i dont like the mages or thieves in this game, aside from edwin, but he dont get along with minsc. so, i have a fighter dualed to a mage as well. otherwise, i would have HeirDalis in my party.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-19-2001, 03:35 PM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

Yeah, they can cast spells, but so can't a mage. Then again, they can cast spells to make them beefier fighters, like tensers and stoneskin and all that. But then again, all it takes is a breach/dispel magic/whatever and they are back to being a regular bard. Furthermore, they also have to take the time to cast the spells. As for Id'ing items, that's just glam. The enhanced bard song -is- pretty decent, but if I had a fighter -or- a mage in his place, I bet either would do more good.

But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:19 PM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

My rason for liking him is because he calls me a raven! to COOL!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 01:27 PM   #8
OmegaKiller
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As for Har-dellis I love him. I love his ongoing battlecry and it is funny as hell when him and viconia gets off. (then again viconia gets horny from all my evil guys except me!!!!! including Korgan but he just rebuffs her) He sucks as a fighter goes, makes a somewhat decent mage, a decent bard, and a great pictpocker. I love his wacky comments

OmegaKiller

*I am the final death

**The destroyer of the Keldorn Order

Recruitment against the foces of good takes place now. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2001, 02:05 PM   #9
Nifft the Nimble

In SoA, H'D is fun but not likely to get on anyone's Most Valuable NPC list. Here's why I take him with in SoA:

1) Pick-pocket skill. If you're using Yoshimo or Imoen (or both, in succession) you'll totally lack for pick-pocketing. Jan can pick if you put his points there, but they're better used in setting traps, especially if you plan on taking him to ToB.

2) Back-up mage. Here his quick access to high levels is important. He's got a Dispel Magic that's second only to Keldorn's. His rendition of Melf's Minute Meteors really rocks, since he's a natural for the Off-Hand Weapon Trick, and since his THAC0 is better than a regular mage's would be. Don't forget that he can use wands, and with pick-pocketing skill recharge them for free, so his limited spell selection is easily augmented.
3) Backup Fighter. He's no tank, but Melodic Chain combined with Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Improved Invisibility make up for some of his problems. There are a few routes you can go here. My two favorites for fighter-mages with two-weapon fighting skill are:
- Katanas! Dakkon's Zerth Blade in the off hand (so it won't get un-equipt when you cast Melf's Minute Meteors) and whatever in the on hand.
- Scimitars! Belm in the off-hand == extra attacks with whatever's in the on-hand!

4) Marksman. Give him skill in daggers and either the Firetooth or Boomerang Dagger and have fun. Offensive Spin = bonus attacks here, and immobility matters less when you're using missile weapons.

5) Lover. Watching him with Aerie just make me ... well want to puke, actually. Okay that's one reason against.

However, with ToB installed he's a whole new Tiefling! He was one of the most valuable NPCs in my whole party by the end. Here's why:

1) Enhanced Bard Song -- there goes the only thing wrong with Blades.

2) Use Any Item -- HELLO HELMETS AND SHIELDS! Finally he's able to use some good defensive items. Give him skill in Darts and Sword & Shield style and the Crimson Dart. He'll make you happy he's behind you.

3) Spike Traps -- by Helm! These contraptions rule.

4) Take more Spike Traps.

5) Time Stop Trap is actually kinda useful to this guy, since he's part mage. Nonetheless, take more Spike Traps instead.

-- Nifft