Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 PM   #1
Khayne
Dungeon Master

Hi I have BG1 TotSC and DSotSC installed. I wanted to start as an evil Thief.
Name Riggo of Stout Clan.
Halfling (with hobbit voice from FP)
got these on the third roll.

this is my first evil party and pretty much my FIRST time playing really. I started a party (good ranger) but never got past Nashkel. ok here is my question.
I have no idea how to play an evil party. Can someone give me some tips on how to go about and evil party without being killed. I see alot for good party walks, are there any for evil?
Khayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Well, not usually. BG1 did not really implement many paths for evil characters, and it is extremely hard to survive for long periods of time, even when you are very high level. Assuming you aren't trying to completely roleplay your game, just try and stay out of civilized areas, and since you are a thief you can try to do the "Stealth --> Run to shop --> Sell stuff --> Stealth and leave" technique, preventing hordes of bounty hunters from attacking your party. I would highly recommend that you play through the game at least once with a good party first, however. Best of luck either way and WELCOME TO IRONWORKS,
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
Khayne
Dungeon Master

Hmm thanks for that tip on stealth in towns. I will use that,or will the boots of stealth help?

Thank you!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

The problem is you can't roleplay a really Chaotic Evil party. If your rep goes below 5, then hordes of guards and bounty hunters pounce on you when you enter towns/villages. Wanna kill those uppity nobles that insult you? Don't do it too often!!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
Ecniv Sllew
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Are the groups of bounty hunters that pounce you really challenging though? I mean, could you go through the game with a reputation of 1 and still manage ok? ~ Or do merchants not sell items to you in that case, i have a vague memory of reading that somewhere...
Ecniv Sllew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

When we recommend playing good for your first time, really give it some serious thought - BG1 is not kind to evil parties. At low levels they will slaughter you, at high levels it will be a real pain and a constant thorn in your side.

If you have to sneak/run through civilised areas, you'll miss out on quests etc and it really will have a negative impact on your gameplay.

BG2 allows you to roleplay the evil path much better, but if you want to get anything like the best out of this game and insist on playing evil then keep your rep around 5 if possible, donating to temples etc to keep it that high.

[ 03-23-2005, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Khayne
Dungeon Master

OK I will play a good party first. I plan on taking my chars over to BG2 SoA. I don't have ToB yet. After playing so many good char in every rpg, I thought evil would have been fun. Plus I read somewhere that there are some evil items.

Thank you everyone for your help.

whoa I have a shield now

[ 03-23-2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Khayne ]
Old 03-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
ister
Drow Warrior

Maybe too late but.... Spoilers
There is a cloak you can pickpocket that will let you simply charm all the locals, and steal without a rep hit. You CAN roleplay being evil, but you have to pay attention to your reputation. If it gets too low you'll have to give money at a temple.

All your decisions come down to - boy this twerp really deserves to die, but are the benefits I get from killing him worth the reputation points I'll lose.

Still the game doesn't stop you from trying to replace the antagonist as the nastiest guy in Baldur's Gate. And I think Edwin's quest has a nice satisfactory end. And it is very satisfying to wipe out a certain temple and you get nicely rewarded for doing so

Edited to make less spoilerish

[ 03-25-2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

ister, we want Ironworks to be friendly to newbies such as Khayne, and that means discouraging spoilers, and unfortunately your post is full of them. Whether or not you think that Khayne would benefit from your experience, the rule of thumb is to never answer any question that the poster did not ask. I would edit my post if I were you. The general information is fine, but please remove all the specifics.

Khayne: Unfortunately, if you want to play Evil you have to play many Good and Neutral games first, so you can get a good idea of what will (and more importantly, will not) hurt your Reputation. The trick is to keep your Reputation pretty high throughout most of the game: Picture yourself as a two-faced evil despot, who is hailed in the streets as a hero and savior, yet all the time is skimming money out of public funds and into his Swiss bank account, instead of an ugly villian who spends his time brewing poisons and skulking in the alleyways. I myself played a pretty famous Evil game, but I learned BG backwards and forwards before I did so, and even then I only revealed my truly Evil nature at the very end, when I didn't need to save face any longer.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
Khayne
Dungeon Master

Thanks SixOfSpades.
Yeah I don't want to many spoilers. I currently have a chaotic good Ranger(not as good of stats as my thief listed above, as a rule of thumb I only reroll 5 times and take the best of the five) with Imoen,Minsc,Dynaheir,and Kivan at some carnival near Nashkel. My rep is 12. I did a quest at FAI. I think I need a healer. I am at lvl 3. I am looking for bandits so Kivan will stay.

Does time matter in the game? I search every nook and cranny of each map. I am currently at 18 or 19 days.Without a spoiler, should I hurry it up or can I keep taking my time exploring?

[ 03-23-2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Khayne ]