Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-03-2001, 08:42 PM   #11
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I teach high school Sophomores (age 15-16).

And yes, there are quite a few topics I consider annoying or unacceptable -- legalization of marjhuana, lower the drinking age, AIDS, teen suicide, eating disorders, . . .

We've decided as a department that we will focus on Demonstration, Informative, and Persuasive formats. We also do some impromptu speeches and have the students write a Eulogy.

We are not so concerned with students learning the finer arts of rhetoric (although I'd love to teach that, they get bored when I get philosophical), but rather hope that the students have a positive first experience and learn proper delivery techniques.

Speech is probably the second most valued class I've taught. Most of the time it is former Debaters who come back and thank me for all that I've taught them in Debate, but occasionally a Speech student will do the same. For some reason, my Freshmen didn't come back and thank me for making them memorize the parts of speech -- imagine that ( puzzled shrug ) .

- Father Bronze
gee, none of my students ever came back and thanked me for the memorization or tests, either - go figure
I have been thinking of volunteering to help my old high school speech and debate team - i started speech the end of my junior year - just enough meets (3) and i did well enough to go to the state NFL meet the first year. my senior year, i tore it up, almost got my ruby NFL pin, but did get the saphire, and placed 7th in the state that year in extemporaneous speaking - picked it because impromptu was to scary, and things like oral interp and expository and debate were too much work! (like your typical high schooler) I just wish i had started my soph year, i know i would have ended up with the double ruby and a national shot, alas. lololol
that is great that you teach that, FB, people wonder why (students who have to take it, mostly ) speech is so important - fear of public speaking is a steady 46% of the population's greatest fear, most of the time a greater % than death will get on those type of surveys!

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:58 PM   #12
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Father Bronze

what do you usually do when a student cannot get up and talk?
Old 10-04-2001, 09:04 AM   #13
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
Father Bronze

what do you usually do when a student cannot get up and talk?
I threaten them with "the rack" and all of those other wonderful medieval torture devices found in Irenicus's dungeon .

Actually, I use a combination of quiet encouragement with a nice threat or two. Nervousness actually reduces sharply if the student is well prepared. I spoke to a parent's group the other night and I explained it this way.

All of my students got up to give the first speech. The speech was a self-introduction and the student needed to talk about his/herself for one minute. Since students know the topic (they know themselves) and it's a short speech, the students aren't extraordinarily nervous. Using the same rule for other speeches, the more I can get a student prepared for the speech, the less nervous he/she will be.

I also threaten the students that 1) the course is required for graduation and 2) if they don't give their speeches they will fail the course.

I only resort to the threats as a last resort -- usually with a student who is too lazy to do any work and/or has failed speech before and is repeating the class.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 10-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #14
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
I threaten them with "the rack" and all of those other wonderful medieval torture devices found in Irenicus's dungeon .

Actually, I use a combination of quiet encouragement with a nice threat or two. Nervousness actually reduces sharply if the student is well prepared. I spoke to a parent's group the other night and I explained it this way.

All of my students got up to give the first speech. The speech was a self-introduction and the student needed to talk about his/herself for one minute. Since students know the topic (they know themselves) and it's a short speech, the students aren't extraordinarily nervous. Using the same rule for other speeches, the more I can get a student prepared for the speech, the less nervous he/she will be.

I also threaten the students that 1) the course is required for graduation and 2) if they don't give their speeches they will fail the course.

I only resort to the threats as a last resort -- usually with a student who is too lazy to do any work and/or has failed speech before and is repeating the class.

well, I am a stutter. what do you think you will do to me if I go to your class?
I would be prepare and stand up, and talk... but I am 90% sure I would screw it up. have you had this kind case before? I mean, I am sure I will be left rotten and forgotten in the corner...

just like to know what you would do to people like me
Old 10-04-2001, 09:18 AM   #15
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi Father Bronze,

I'm also the reticent type and have had to force myself to speak coherently during office meetings (at first, it was a case of blustering and I was so, so embarassed of myself because everyone would look at me trying to understand what I was trying to say).

These days, especially when I give presentations to say 30-40 pple, I keep telling myself that my bosses are watching me and I had jolly well not foul up! Not the best technique, I know, but it's been relatively effective so far.

Would you have any advice for me, too?
Old 10-04-2001, 01:00 PM   #16
Conan

Quote:

a nice threat or two.
All of my students got up to give the first speech.

I only resort to the threats

Father Bronze!!! :0 I am just having a little fun here...
I think I could be a good debator..if only I could come up with something of my own and not just twist other peoples words around

Keep them straight! I think ToB should be next course ,ok

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-04-2001).]

Old 10-04-2001, 01:02 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The course is required for graduation, then? Good for your school district!!

When I was in HS, speech wasn't required. I never had to give an oral presentation on anything, and was completely unprepared for what was about to hit me when I went to college. Talk about doing some quick learning! I'm glad to see that the trend, at least in your particular area, is changing.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 04:18 PM   #18
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
well, I am a stutter. what do you think you will do to me if I go to your class?
I would be prepare and stand up, and talk... but I am 90% sure I would screw it up. have you had this kind case before? I mean, I am sure I will be left rotten and forgotten in the corner...

I never grade someone down for the way they speak. I've had quite a few foreign exchange students in speech class and they do very well. Sure, I'd love to be able to help everyone have perfect diction, but there is only so much that a teacher can cover in an 18 week course. I just hope that my students gain some confidence in public speaking and that they understand how to organize a speech.

And no, I don't leave anyone "rotten and forgotten in the corner." I pester them at least once or twice a day

------------------

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 10-04-2001, 04:29 PM   #19
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by boowinstheday:
I'm also the reticent type and have had to force myself to speak coherently during office meetings (at first, it was a case of blustering and I was so, so embarassed of myself because everyone would look at me trying to understand what I was trying to say).

These days, especially when I give presentations to say 30-40 pple, I keep telling myself that my bosses are watching me and I had jolly well not foul up! Not the best technique, I know, but it's been relatively effective so far.

Would you have any advice for me, too?
You know I've spoken in front of students every day of my teaching career. I've done presentations to groups of teachers (audience of 75-100+) and I have to say that getting up in front of my colleagues is the most stressful situations I know. I too feel that everyone is watching me (including my bosses) and that if I goof up, everyone will notice.

1) Preparation is the key. The more you are prepared, the less nervous you will be. Imagine if you had to give the presentation without any preparation. Wouldn't you be a heck of a lot more nervous?

2) It's never as bad as you think it is. If you lose your place and it seems to take forever to get back on track, remember that nervousness makes time inch by. You may be standing there for 30 seconds of silence, but it seems like everyone was staring at you for at least 3 minutes.

3) I bet your boss gets nervous too. Imagine if you boss were critical of you for giving a bad presentation. Don't you think you (and everyone else in the office) would be a lot more critical of your boss the next time (s)he gave a presentation?

As a speech teacher there's a lot of pressure. My students always comment when I say "um" or when I forget what I was going to say. I'm held to a higher standard because "You told us not to do that. How can you expect us not to say 'um' when you say it yourself?"

And hey, if your technique (scaring yourself silly) works, great. I might have to try that one myself

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 04:36 PM   #20
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

Same here (or have you forgotten? )
I think that speech class could help - as we both know, the more nervous you are, the more you stutter. As FB's class helps students become less nervous, we'd probably stutter less sounds good unfortunately not that easy .

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est