Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 08:53 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Lady Z...I think the man was probably trying to call a New York # with a 212 area code...but he hit 412 (I think it was 412??...Canada)...the guy with pager said that his pager number was pretty easy with the last four digits being all the same (i.e. 1111) so he thought it was probably a random call but to Canada rather than NYC.

Wow, that's pretty amazing Moridin. That he was able to randomly dial numbers, and actually get someone who actually took action to help him, someone from another country!, someone who Might not have even known was was going on at the WTC, but he did, and he transferred the message to local policemen. You wouldn't think that would happen. I'd think that if I tried that I'd gets some jerk just either hanging up on me, thinking I am a prank call, or someone telling me "You have the wrong number" and again, hanging up. I am so pleased to know that I was wrong, that people will come through for you, no matter where they live

The only question I have now is did they rescue that guy yet?

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 11:06 PM   #12
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Wow, that's pretty amazing Moridin. That he was able to randomly dial numbers, and actually get someone who actually took action to help him, someone from another country!, someone who Might not have even known was was going on at the WTC, but he did, and he transferred the message to local policemen.
What is this?!?!? Canada is the country right above the US. In fact, you guys should know where we are 'cause we were suppose to take the blunt of the nuclear fall out aimed at your country during the Cold War (let's face it, Soviet technology was never that precise) .

We do have phones (obviouly), we do have TV, we do have cable and we do have electricity . We are civilized and we do not live in igloos (not even Esquimos live in igloos in Canada )

Plus, how could someone not know what was going on in New York. Toronto is about 6-8 hours away from NY (driving estimate). The attack on Western Civilization (sorry, it's much broader than just an attack on America) has been on the news here since day 1, minute 10 (or so).

We know what's going on!

In fact, the best way to describe Canada would probably be a very shy United States that has a Prime Minister instead of a President at the helm.

BTW: it's a fact that Canadians know more about the US than American.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 09-14-2001, 11:32 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
What is this?!?!? Canada is the country right above the US. In fact, you guys should know where we are 'cause we were suppose to take the blunt of the nuclear fall out aimed at your country during the Cold War (let's face it, Soviet technology was never that precise) .

We do have phones (obviouly), we do have TV, we do have cable and we do have electricity . We are civilized and we do not live in igloos (not even Esquimos live in igloos in Canada )

Plus, how could someone not know what was going on in New York. Toronto is about 6-8 hours away from NY (driving estimate). The attack on Western Civilization (sorry, it's much broader than just an attack on America) has been on the news here since day 1, minute 10 (or so).

We know what's going on!

In fact, the best way to describe Canada would probably be a very shy United States that has a Prime Minister instead of a President at the helm.

BTW: it's a fact that Canadians know more about the US than American.

Ryanamur - What I meant was, that I found it out of the ordinary that he did not call 911 locally. That he called a number so far away. And I also meant when I said the person in Canada who took the call might not have known yet what had happened, is because there are many people, anywhere in the world U.S included, that may not have had their TV or radios on, so may not have known what was going on, you never know.

Wasn't some dig on Canada at all. To the contrary, I look at the entire incident as a honest incidence of a human helping out a human, even if they are strangers living in different places. I have nothing but praise.

I most certainly do not think that Canada is some backwater country, behind on the news, living in igloos LOL! Maybe the way I worded my post made you think that Ryanamur? Hard sometimes to make your point in text for others to read, as you know what you mean when typing, but sometimes that does not come across clearly to others. Doh! Did not mean to offend at all, was making a compliment, happy that something good happened in all this horror. But I truly honestly did not mean to make it sound like I was belittling Canada at all I swear... OK? I love Canada, yall are our "neighbors"!

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 11:48 PM   #14
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well...

1.)> I hada thought and feeling this was true already... when I watched CNN, yesterday, they were interviewing this girl and saying that her sis's hubby was in the building, and that he called her before it crumbled down (hubby called sis' girl). ANyway, he was missing or is missing now. Moving on, he called up right? He said two things, first was that he loved them very much and all and there was anb explosion and stuff in WTC, second was he said they were NOT gonna evacutate and all... and just told her again that he loved her...sad.

2.)I dunno, but probably. Usually these kind of news aren't made up for specualtion...

3.)True or not, here is the hitch: God is ever-forgiving and all, and he will NEVER, NEVER punish us. It will be US who will destroy the world eventually, not Him.

Ryan

------------------

Heya! It's just me, Bahamut!
Old 09-15-2001, 12:01 AM   #15
G'kar

1,2 I dunno, Turn the news off after candle vigil, hasnt been on since( my girlfriend busted out the old school nintendo...Battle Of Olympus is on our tube)
3. that falwell fella has put his foot in his mouth before. Zealotry at its best.It was a very inappropriate thing to say in my book. And I agree - God's no punisher. We humans commit crimes and punish them, God loves us anyway.

Old 09-15-2001, 06:03 AM   #16
Donut
Jack Burton

I've heard 1 being reported by some Brits who got out

I heard 2 but that someone had phoned Philadelphia. I can only guess that the NY telephone system was overloaded. The 911 system would certainly have been so.

I haven't heard 3 but it wouldn't suprise me.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-15-2001, 12:53 PM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I have absolutely not idea if number 1 or 2 are true, but I've heard that SOMEONE, not sure who though, has said on television that the attack was punishment from god for allowing homosexuals, feminists and others to live in America, pretty sick.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-15-2001, 01:15 PM   #18
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Yes to 1. I heard several interviews with people in the towers (lower floors) who recounted stories of sitting there milling around in indecision for the 18 minutes between plane attacks.

Yes to 2. Again, radio interviews with rescue personell who had been contacted by phone from seattle, saying their relative was trapped with several police and port authority people in the 2nd basement level underground of tower 1. it took over a day for the cell phone airways to clear enough for him to be able to get and hold a signal, is what they said. i do not know if those folks have been dug out or not. after 4 days, tv reports show that the mound of rubble is still pretty intact, despite what has been taken away - remember on wednesday evening, they were still digging toward the actual towers from more than a block away, that is how much rubble fell down and all around.
? to 3. I would not at all be suprised if Jerry Foulmouth said those insane things, it would certainly be in character. best thing there is to ignore him, make sure everyone you know can tell about what he said to others, so we can spread his own words among the people, thereby taking away what he craves most - an audience, ooops, i mean a PAYing audience, gotta send those checks for god, made out to jerry, doncha know. he belongs to the dustbin of history, he just don't know it yet

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To
Old 09-15-2001, 01:19 PM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I most certainly do not think that Canada is some backwater country, behind on the news, living in igloos LOL!
LOL! Yeah good one Ladyzekke. I suppose next you'll be telling us they have cars, electricity and live in houses with central heating. Pull the other one!

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-15-2001, 01:19 PM   #20
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Ryanamur - What I meant was, that I found it out of the ordinary that he did not call 911 locally. That he called a number so far away. And I also meant when I said the person in Canada who took the call might not have known yet what had happened, is because there are many people, anywhere in the world U.S included, that may not have had their TV or radios on, so may not have known what was going on, you never know.

Wasn't some dig on Canada at all. To the contrary, I look at the entire incident as a honest incidence of a human helping out a human, even if they are strangers living in different places. I have nothing but praise.

I most certainly do not think that Canada is some backwater country, behind on the news, living in igloos LOL! Maybe the way I worded my post made you think that Ryanamur? Hard sometimes to make your point in text for others to read, as you know what you mean when typing, but sometimes that does not come across clearly to others. Doh! Did not mean to offend at all, was making a compliment, happy that something good happened in all this horror. But I truly honestly did not mean to make it sound like I was belittling Canada at all I swear... OK? I love Canada, yall are our "neighbors"!

Don't worry, I know that you didn't bash Canada in any way shape or form. I was just having a little episode of much needed light headed humor

The smilies should of given that away. But, as you said, sometime it's harder to make your point on paper (or on a screen) . I don't think of American (or others) as ignorant. It's just that many have a misconception of Canada and the way we live.

It's funy sometime. On the third day of the crisis, CNN finaly clued in that Canada had over 400 flights that were destinied to the US. They interviewed our Prime Minister and the interviewer asked in a tone that was pretty much insinuating all that I said in my previous post if we were able to effectively care for poor straded Americans.

Like I said, I was just joking... I sure was insinuating anything out of it

BTW: the phone call to Toronto came in the second night... not the first.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?