Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 01:06 AM   #21
Moni

Ahhh....I had to sign off and sign back on...refresh was doing nothing.
Absolutely awesome MILAMBER!
Absolutely!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-14-2001, 01:07 AM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Why am I seeing the one with the towers burning still?

Try refreshing. I am not hosting the one with the towers anymore so it is coming from your cache.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-14-2001, 01:09 AM   #23
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Why am I seeing the one with the towers burning still?
I dunno...that used to happen to me on here...I'd post and it would take hours for my post to show up. Well I understand about the tests tomorrow. This has to be one of the worst times to expect people to concentrate on school or anything else for that matter. Don't worry we will find something uplifting to do this weekend I promise.

*BIG HUG*

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-14-2001, 01:10 AM   #24
Moni

Refresh wasn't working...I had to sign off and sign on again completely.
Excellent sig!

I am off to bed...for reals...I slept most of the day but I know I can't hang out all night and be alert in the morning.
Goodnight

*BIG HUG* KHaN! Thanks
------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 01:19 AM   #25
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
[B} *BIG HUG* KHaN! Thanks [/B]
Anytime sweetheart! I hope you dream tonight.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-14-2001, 07:43 AM   #26
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
[Not being an American, it cannot be expected for you to fully appreciate it but knowing the view that a majority of Eurpoeans have of Americans and America, your opinion of them is understood, at least by me.
[/B]
Moni, when I read that last comment, my stomach turned over. I could be misunderstanding your intent here, so forgive me in advance, please, if I have..... but Moni, I am 64, almost 65. Think about that. I was brought up during world war 2. I had bombs dropping close to my home. My parents were out almost every night doing ambulance duty (mom was a nurse) or firewatching (dad was a fireman). We spent most nights with our grandparents and we never knew if our mom and dad would come home. We had anti-aircraft barrages just at the top of our road, and the stuttering of their guns every night and often during the day, Grman bombers were frequently overflying our home on the way to bomb the local airport, and mistaking the new roading at one end of our roead for the airport runways, and bombing it.
You Americans have NEVER had your precious flesh touched on the scale that we in the UK have. NEVER. And even the UK was not touched as much as the rest of Europe.
And NOW the middle Eastern countries have suffered terrible loss of life in bombings and missile attackes while the American soldiery stayed home 'cos 'American soldiers musn't be hurt'.
I'm stopping now, 'cos I'm getting incoherant and may go way over the top.
And I still hate jingoism.

Not getting at you, Moni, nor Americans, really, but, much as my heart goes out to you there is a little bit of me that keeps saying 'maybe NOW they get some understanding of the rest of the world's anguish'. WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.
Sorry. I just had to say it.

If you want to kick me off the forum, so be it.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 08:27 AM   #27
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Moni, when I read that last comment, my stomach turned over. I could be misunderstanding your intent here, so forgive me in advance, please, if I have..... but Moni, I am 64, almost 65. Think about that. I was brought up during world war 2. I had bombs dropping close to my home. My parents were out almost every night doing ambulance duty (mom was a nurse) or firewatching (dad was a fireman). We spent most nights with our grandparents and we never knew if our mom and dad would come home. We had anti-aircraft barrages just at the top of our road, and the stuttering of their guns every night and often during the day, Grman bombers were frequently overflying our home on the way to bomb the local airport, and mistaking the new roading at one end of our roead for the airport runways, and bombing it.
You Americans have NEVER had your precious flesh touched on the scale that we in the UK have. NEVER. And even the UK was not touched as much as the rest of Europe.
And NOW the middle Eastern countries have suffered terrible loss of life in bombings and missile attackes while the American soldiery stayed home 'cos 'American soldiers musn't be hurt'.
I'm stopping now, 'cos I'm getting incoherant and may go way over the top.
And I still hate jingoism.

Not getting at you, Moni, nor Americans, really, but, much as my heart goes out to you there is a little bit of me that keeps saying 'maybe NOW they get some understanding of the rest of the world's anguish'. WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.
Sorry. I just had to say it.

If you want to kick me off the forum, so be it.

Fljotsdale, I know that this is not the point of your post, and I swear, I'm not making light. I just wanted to know what jingoism is. I've tried to find it, and cant seem to.

BTW...You have sincere hugs from *this* yank. I'm only 29, so I've only read and seen on documentaries what you lived through. But, to the extent that I can, I empathize with you.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-14-2001, 08:43 AM   #28
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Fljotsdale, I know that this is not the point of your post, and I swear, I'm not making light. I just wanted to know what jingoism is. I've tried to find it, and cant seem to.

BTW...You have sincere hugs from *this* yank. I'm only 29, so I've only read and seen on documentaries what you lived through. But, to the extent that I can, I empathize with you.

Jingoism: blustering, ostentatious patriotism. Flag-waving, war-mongering, belligerance. (Oxford Complete Wordfinder)

People can be patriotic without making a show of it. To most Brits, jingoism is just rather disgusting. It makes me feel ill, as it is usually a precursor to war propaganda and war. Sorry. Upbringing!

Thanks for the hugs Much appreciated!

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 09:12 AM   #29
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Jingoism: blustering, ostentatious patriotism. Flag-waving, war-mongering, belligerance. (Oxford Complete Wordfinder)

People can be patriotic without making a show of it. To most Brits, jingoism is just rather disgusting. It makes me feel ill, as it is usually a precursor to war propaganda and war. Sorry. Upbringing!

Thanks for the hugs Much appreciated!

Got it. Yeah...I can see where that might get tired. I've been in kind of 'Ultra-Patriot' mode myself the last couple of days. I'm trying to tone down a bit. I just made the sig, and am going to try and leave it at that.

Welcome for the hugs.
I had relatives in WWII. Some of the stories they tell curl my toes. I had hoped that my children would never have to hear the same things. I still do.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-14-2001, 10:01 AM   #30
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I understand you a little bit better after your last post there F. Like Nachtrafe said, we have been a little on the patriotic side recently, but that's not because we are war mongers or anything like that. It is more to show support to eachother that we do this. Once again, I'm sorry if this bothers you, but please try to view it with our original intent in mind.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB