Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #21
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Looks like cell phones are popular!

Nacht had suggested the pre-pay option and we're going to look into 'plans' etc. I was just curious about everyone's experiences with the phones and companies.

As for annoying... LOL, well try being in The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers and having some dipwad sit there talking on her cellphone (actually there were TWO people each having a chat) when even the 10 kiddies behind you have shut up....it's ANNOYING! [img]tongue.gif[/img] The ushers finally got the idiots off their phones, but like I said, there are just some places where I find it invasive....for instance- I was in the ladies room at work and in the stall next to me a kid was chatting on her cell phone, while utilizing the facilities ('nuff said) .....it became apparent that the person she was chattering with was in the FREAKIN HALLWAY outside the bathroom! GOOD GRIEF! The girl comes out of the stall and the other one storms into the bathroom going "oh there you are!"

Sheesh! LOL

[ 02-18-2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 02-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #22
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL Cloudy, people like that might be annoying, but it's the teenagers that are driving much of the telecomms industry and as thus are supplying many jobs and making sure innovative new products come out [img]smile.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-18-2003, 09:14 AM   #23
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

As for annoying... LOL, well try being in The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers and having some dipwad sit there talking on her cellphone (actually there were TWO people each having a chat) when even the 10 kiddies behind you have shut up....it's ANNOYING! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Cloudy, you may find this hard to believe, given my carefully cultivated veneer of tolerance and affibility, but when I was in a similar situation recently, I found that the phrase Would you just shut the Ł$%& up worked wonders.

Just thought I'd share

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #24
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

My parent's got cellphones for emergencies and find them useful... they dont want to be bothered much... so they don't give their numbers to any but a select few... they keep 'em on all the time... but quiet... its more for me and my brothers to call them than anything else (at least it as at the start... now my dad has given in and uses it for business)... cos my parent's are mortally afraid that we might kill each other...our little debates turn out quite rough sometmes...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:56 AM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

As for annoying... LOL, well try being in The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers and having some dipwad sit there talking on her cellphone (actually there were TWO people each having a chat) when even the 10 kiddies behind you have shut up....it's ANNOYING! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Cloudy, you may find this hard to believe, given my carefully cultivated veneer of tolerance and affibility, but when I was in a similar situation recently, I found that the phrase Would you just shut the Ł$%& up worked wonders.[/QUOTE]LOL. In Chicago theatres, part of the preview contains an advert for "Cell Phone Ejector Seats, Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You" - just to get the point across. It's hilarious.

[in a crowded theatre]: *ring* - "Oh, hi, yeah I'm just...." [seat throws man into the air, where he hits the screen face-first and falls unceremoniously to the floor] *applause* [fade out]
It's so funny. And it reminds me to take my phone out and set it to *silent*

In court, if your phone rings, the bailiff takes it away. You can return and pick it up after 24 hrs. Now there's incentive.

I think it's a great tool. I use it for business. Plus, I don't pay for long distance at home. Use anytime, anywhere - no roaming. Flat $40/mo. - pretty good.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #26
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i prefer pagers, pll can still get a hold of you, but you don;t need to answer them til your ready (yes i know cell phones can be used the same) and you can have one with voice mail. i miss my pager so much!!!! but they don;t help in emergency's. you can't use one to call 911 for the accident you just witnessed, or call home when you are already using your spare and blow another tire! just my opinions. i'd go for pager. i hate cell phones
Old 02-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #27
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My cell phone is practically glued to me. I use it primarily for business, but I do a lot of personal checking in as well.

I also have it set to vibrate at all times. Just because I'm getting a call is no reason to broadcast it to the rest of the world.

I can see where folks who don't carry their phones right with them would be inclined to use ringers and ring tones. But I truly despise the long ring tones that are out there... if I want to hear "Inna-gadda-da-vida" on a cell phone, I'll go search for it, thank you. Tones should be, IMHO, no more than half a second long. And even that's pushing it.

Get a cell phone? Absolutely. Just keep a check on how you use it, and you'll be set.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #28
andrewas
Harper

Mobiles are *evil*. Always go off at the most inconvinient moments. Like during a meeting. Or at the cinema.

And worse, they go off when their impossible to get to and the person wont give up so you have to search for half an hour to answer the thing. To recieve a call that wasnt important to either party anyway.

But I have to admit, when its just hit the fan and unless you can call for help people are going to start dying, its always helpful to have a mobile to hand so you can play snake. Cos thats the other thing, theres never a signal when you *really* need it.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #29
Irongrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Mobiles are *evil*. Always go off at the most inconvinient moments. Like during a meeting. Or at the cinema.
That's why there's a function to either turn it off, or just the sound off
Old 02-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #30
Melusine
Dracolisk

Exactly... I think it's INSANE people complain about not wanting people to call them, and how irritating it is to be called at the most inconvenient of times. The things don't come equipped with an off button for nothing!!

I have had a cell phone for a couple of years and I don't see anything but good points to them. If I have to go home alone at night, I can carry it so I can call the alarm number if anything happens. The same goes for when I go somewhere - if I see an accident or something happening, I can always call the police or an ambulance. If I want to call someone to let them know what time I will be home, I can use the cell phone.
BUT
Under any other circumstances, my phone remains OFF. In the cinema, in a bookstore, when I'm asleep or at home. If I don't want to be called, I would be stupid to leave my phone on. There's a perfectly good voice mail service for people to use.
If you have a cell phone, it's up to you not to make it annoying. By putting it off when you know you would be annoyed by any calls, but also by not acting in an annoying way yourself, eg by leaving it on when you go see a movie, or by talking REALLY loudly into it.

Simple as that [img]smile.gif[/img]