Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 07:22 PM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I'm very catholic about what professional sports that I hate: Football, baseball, socccer, tennis, you name it, I don't watch it. But, bravo to those that do. I will admit to being puzzled about why soccer isn't more of a big deal, here, when all of the kids play.
I can tell you why. Football doesn't have the natural breaks that American sports have. So you can't have adverts shown on the TV. I remember being in the US once when they were palying Trinidad in a World Cup qualifier. The TV station stopped for an ad break and when they came back the commentator saud: 'While you were away this happened' and they proceded to show the only game of the match.

One of the few occasions when the US play as a team against foreign opposition is the Ryder Cup. Multi millionaires play for nothing. Do they care about the match? They care more and feel more pressure than when they paly in any of the majors. You can't imagine how much you miss by not playing international sporting competitions.

And let's face it - the only reason you don't care about the World Cup is that you are rubbish at football! (Please note the smiley )

[ 05-31-2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-31-2002, 07:23 PM   #12
Timo Jay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everyone, my first post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This thread got my attention coz ive wondered in the past why has football (soccer) not gotten as big over in the USA as it has in many parts of the world. I mean, im a sports fan in general so i like a lot of sports but American sports to me seem pretty poor. either its a stop n start type of game like american football or baseball, or its a blur of action going from one side of the field to the other like basketball and ice hockey. football (soccer) just flows at the right pace and is enjoyable to watch.

That though is just my personal opinion and at the end of the day our opinions are influenced by marketing pressures and advertising. if billions of dollars were spent promoting football (soccer) in the USA and other sports were left to fester. in ten years time there would be an undoubtable change and vice versa.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:30 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

That wasn't my point, although yours was well received, khazadman. I mean that if europeans and others see these jerks like these commentators making these blanket statements...no wonder we Americans are so roundly disliked. *sigh*

I keep wanting to scream out, "It's not me! It's not me!"

And I think a lot of Americans feel this way...then they just give up because they feel it isn't worth it.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-31-2002, 07:39 PM   #14
Vlad Tepes
Dungeon Master

I guess i agree with donut and the guy with the balck vulture in his sig.
1 - if north american had their local teams in competitions with european and south-americans teams, they would see a much better soccer and would enjoy soccer much more than they do right now.
2 - of course i cant make this statement based on everyone's opinion like u said many north-american may enjoy soccer as much as an european or south-american do, or even more, but i truly believe that if they had their teams joining other teams troughout the world we would have a nice addition to the championships, and the game would be more popular in USA.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:42 PM   #15
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
That wasn't my point, although yours was well received, khazadman. I mean that if europeans and others see these jerks like these commentators making these blanket statements...no wonder we Americans are so roundly disliked. *sigh*

I keep wanting to scream out, "It's not me! It's not me!"

And I think a lot of Americans feel this way...then they just give up because they feel it isn't worth it.

-Saz
That's cool Saz - we know it's not you. I agree with you - statements like that at the start of the thread help to generate what (unforunately) is a widely held view of American arrogance or indifference to the rest of the world. Some people fail to recognise that all cultures races and creeds have their share of jerks, so to them you are all branded that way. These are the people that are prepared to rip into all things American based on a few like minded encounters with this type of moron (commentator).

On the other hand, I just see his comments as convicting himself as a total prat. I condemn the idiot that mouthed that dribble, not the culture or the country.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #16
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, *I* like soccer, and I know a LOT of people here who do as well. I'm sure all the Dallas Sidekicks fans would just LOVE to get their hands on that a-hole.

-Saz
Saz dont you mean football not soccer?
Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #17
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
On the other hand, I just see his comments as convicting himself as a total prat. I condemn the idiot that mouthed that dribble, not the culture or the country.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Bet he was a Yankee fan/commentator... [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Sorry, sorry...In case I wasn't clear, I'm in agreement with you here. I disagree with this guy's view of 'American' sports vs. soccer/football.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:13 PM   #18
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well I love soccer and i am an American and a Yankee fan ( lioness)
I think part of the problem is that most of the sports columists and tv commentators do not like soccer so they say bad things all the time. In addition soccer players tend to be small (when compared to American football or basball players) Unfortuantly, in American culture people think that athletes have to be big so they conceptualy do not view soccer players as athletes when in fact they are.

Oh Johny Hockey is a Canadian sport that has been imported to the US. In fact look at that sport. International hockey is much better than North American. Here they go to see fights as oppossed to the game. I think part of the problem is the apparent dumbing down of our society. Oh well
Old 05-31-2002, 08:19 PM   #19
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

So would i get my ass kicked if i said i was an all-out Broncos fan, and i dont give a crap about soccer? I luv watchin football(american), and hockey...other sports just really dont appeal to me...unless its water polo or volleyball and im playing...soccer is fun to play though...its just not very exciting to watch...or get into(for me anyway)
Old 05-31-2002, 09:36 PM   #20
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, *I* like soccer, and I know a LOT of people here who do as well. I'm sure all the Dallas Sidekicks fans would just LOVE to get their hands on that a-hole.

-Saz
Its just a sport calm down [img]tongue.gif[/img] Which leads to the other advantage of soccer not being popular here. Soccer hooligans.