Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-04-2001, 07:32 PM   #1
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

for those who arent aware, team-bg is a nice bunch of bioware addicts who have collectively spent years making mods and conversions for these games. practically everything that people say "i wish bioware had done this" is now possible because of their efforts, whether it's technical instruction or the sweet editors theyve come up with.

long story short. bioware is through with the engine. there will be no more official releases. there COULD be tons more supplements, however, if the code license were released.

why should you care? let me give an example from another game i play. myth:the fallen lords was/is the best RTT (real time tactical) game ever (so far). imagine medieval fantasy tabletop miniature battles but in real time, with games available from one on ones to two armies of 100+ units each side with each team having up to 8 players. very cool. but, like all developers, they don't get to implement every idea they come up with. bungie developed a hardcore group of fans (some began way back with pathways to darkness and the marathon series). blah blah blah. anyway, the game itself only had 8 or so maps that were fun to play on. but because they made enough of it available (still havent fully, but it's not as complex as bioware's, natch) there are now hundreds of maps, with conversions of aliens, lego, mechwarrior, even soccer and chess. all from one game.

now imagine ad&d type rules in a modern world. or in space. or a low-tech world where magic is heresy and psionics are commonplace. these things can and will happen. what has already been done despite the limitation of essentially working blind is impressive. having the code would amount to finding the philosopher's stone.

sooooooooo... if you love these games, wander over to this:

http://www.teambg.net/teambg_com/cgi...&num=995018779

read more about, and if you are so inclined, send the word on to bioware. the company made the game, but only we can make it immortal.

----

p.s. i was going to say something like "delete this post if you, the moderators, feel this is inappropriate". but then i saw memnoch's signature on the petition page

p.p.s. apparently this has been on for the whole summer and i only just stumbled across it. if this post sticks (i.e. is approved) can we keep it bumped to page one for a while? imho, this is more significant than anything else we could discuss considering the potential results. without this working, in a year we'll be pining for all those silly newbie questions.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:37 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hear hear.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-06-2001, 07:17 AM   #3
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

*** bump ***
Old 09-06-2001, 12:29 PM   #4