Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2001, 11:49 AM   #1
rodimus
The Magister

OK, I just started a new game, this time I try to solo, which I thought is very tough, but with my Mage/Fighter/Thief, its easy, cause you can tank, cast stoneskin on yourself, go invisible, but now my question. I never tried backstabbing, cause I didnt like thieves. Now I tried it, but it never happened. What is it that Im doing wrong? I have 100 in Hide in shadows and move silently, but when I hide in shadows, I go towards the enemy and attack, and its just a normal attack. May I only use one weapon? I dual wield the Celestial Fury and a Longsword +2, so how to backstab???
Old 08-11-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
Tuor
Elminster

You probably missed your hit, became visible and attacked normally. If your move silently skill is very high you get extra chances to backstab without being spotted....
Old 08-11-2001, 11:53 AM   #3
rodimus
The Magister

So I can backstab with two weapons??? And which weapons could be used for backstab?
Old 08-11-2001, 12:22 PM   #4
Cleric 2
Manshoon

I think piercing weapons, a warhammer doesn't look to me a back staing weapon, our am i wrong?
Old 08-11-2001, 12:30 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rodimus:
OK, I just started a new game, this time I try to solo, which I thought is very tough, but with my Mage/Fighter/Thief, its easy, cause you can tank, cast stoneskin on yourself, go invisible, but now my question. I never tried backstabbing, cause I didnt like thieves. Now I tried it, but it never happened. What is it that Im doing wrong? I have 100 in Hide in shadows and move silently, but when I hide in shadows, I go towards the enemy and attack, and its just a normal attack. May I only use one weapon? I dual wield the Celestial Fury and a Longsword +2, so how to backstab???

You need to be behind the enemy to backstab. Move around to where his back is and attack from there. You can backstab with any bladed weapon a thief can use, which excluded 2H swords and such. Katanas and longswords are ok. Piercing weapons like spears are out since thieves can't use them. You can backstab with 2 weapons if they both hit.

------------------
Old 08-11-2001, 05:45 PM   #6
rodimus
The Magister

Thx Memnoch, I had to know that, cause I want to start right know a soloing night. Its now 23.30 in Germany and I think its a good time to play. BTW, to anybody who hasn't soloed yet: Its cool, I started know with a Fighter/Mage/thief, At the beginning its very hard, but know
Spoiler:
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
I just got the Celestial Fury, and I love this weapon. Now I tried to get the Daystar, but Im too weak to beat the damn Lich. I can only cast level 4 spells, and the Glabrezu in the Guarded Compound cost me a lot of nerves. Any hint on the lich? How to get the damned protections down? I cannot even cast breach...
Old 08-12-2001, 05:47 AM   #7
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

I haven't even tried going after the Daystar and such yet, so haven't gone up against the lich, but if you're playing a char with enough thief-class in him to set traps, setting a lot of those and making the badguy chase you REALLY helps most of the time. And if you're invisible, they generally chase you, but miss you with spells and effects, at least until they cast true sight.

Also, if the lich himself isn't in one of those rooms where the whole party has to enter together, summoning a lot of creatures and then sending them into the room with it without your PC can help too, makes the bad guy use up some of those spells and abilities, even if he does take 'em out fast. And I *think* you can use protection spells on summoned creatures that'd stop them from being confused or dominated if you have those spells...I know haste and protect evil 10' radius will cover them if they're close when you cast.

------------------
Playing the cutest li'l Chaotic characters since 1996.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:45 AM   #8
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Hmm.. getting Daystar eh?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
:
:
:

Ok, here's what I did - stealth the thief.

Then go in with him alone, wearing boots of speed. Pick the lock and grab the sword. By now, you are becoming visible...
Quickly now, use the Daystar's special ability of sunray. KA-ZAP! One fried Lich.
Now, sprint outside and lay traps.

If the Lich follows, you have it made. If he sits inside, Stealth again and backstab him with the Daystar. he he he
Old 08-12-2001, 01:00 PM   #9
rodimus
The Magister

I found it out myself. SPoiler (defeating lichs):
<
<
<
<
<
<
Be sure that you have one Protection from Undead scroll nearby. With this Protection, the lich doesnt notice you, and you can whack him away. Even works on Kangaxx. Man, soloing is a hack of fun...