Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What video slot is your video card plugged into?
AGP slot 26 72.22%
PCI slot 8 22.22%
No idea, sorry, I just turn it on and it works 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I've got the same as Philip. Was ok 4 years ago, now it's too old to be mentioned by anyone, therefore no one takes the piss so it's ok
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 07-11-2004, 09:07 AM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
PCI Device 10DE / 0201
Transistors 60 million
Bus Type AGP
Memory Size 64 MB
GPU Clock 175 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 350 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 4

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v8.0
Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 401 MHz
Bandwidth 6416 MB/s
Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The funny thing is, I ventured to one of those Gfx forums to ask about video cards and when they found out that I had an NVIDIA (strike 1) GeForce2 (strike 2) MX400 (strike 3) from 2 1/2 years ago I was made to feel like I was one inch tall.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:26 AM   #14
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
I've got the same as Philip. Was ok 4 years ago, now it's too old to be mentioned by anyone, therefore no one takes the piss so it's ok
I had one until about a year and a half ago...then i bought the g-force i have now(it was cheap, if a little old), and the quality upgrade was noteable, if not mindboggling. I hope to be positively suprised by the gf 4 im getting for free

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 07-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #15
wellard
Dracolisk

Cant vote due to technical reasons (long story)

But as you know I have the exact same video card as you. I will be visiting Adalong and Harris computer store in SYD tomorrow morning (behind QVB) to get a new vid card. The problem to watch out for is that our mother boards only take 4xAGP so getting a whizz bang replacement would be out of the question. To do a small increase like Raistlin Majere is doing would cost $70 but I'm going to see if we can fit better.

Question still remains ... Is a change from a Gforce2 32mb mx400 to a G/force4 64mb mx440 worth the effort?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #16
Mordenheim
Elminster

Yeah, I had to chime in here

I went through what you did Mem. Read reviews... went to the store and was about 10 seconds from buying a 9800 pro. I asked the tech guy what would suit ME better as a hardcore gamer - a 9800 pro from ATI or a Geforce FX 5900 XT. I think the Geforce was just $30 less.

Now this guy said he preferred a ATI but for someone who plays a lot of games that he would HAVE to recommend the Geforce.

Now I have played a ton of games and not a SINGLE one, NWN, Morrowind, Farcry, ect have had a single issue for me. All ran beautiful, fast, and looked great. No problems with opengl, no problems with textures... nothing.

I can only give you my experience. I have owned both ATI(Radeon 8500) and Nvidia. While the drivers may be better then what ATI use to have.. they still are not up to par on games IMO. One thing I did was go to game forums and read who was having problems... might want to try that on the games you personally play or expect to in the future.

Here is a example of what I mean :

http://www.rage3d.net/board/showthread.php?t=33768844

"They are saying its most likely the ATi drivers or cards. Since all the Nvidia users never have any of the problems. And since the game runs perfectly fine (I hear) on the 4.2, it must not be the card. Most of them are saying its the drivers fault."

All the tech stuff is great but at the end of the day... nerds just want to play our games as they are made
Old 07-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #17
Mordenheim
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Cant vote due to technical reasons (long story)

But as you know I have the exact same video card as you. I will be visiting Adalong and Harris computer store in SYD tomorrow morning (behind QVB) to get a new vid card. The problem to watch out for is that our mother boards only take 4xAGP so getting a whizz bang replacement would be out of the question. To do a small increase like Raistlin Majere is doing would cost $70 but I'm going to see if we can fit better.

Question still remains ... Is a change from a Gforce2 32mb mx400 to a G/force4 64mb mx440 worth the effort?
I don't think so wellard

anyway you can get a hold of a GeForce4 Ti 4200 for cheap? now that would be a much better cheap upgrade
Old 07-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordenheim:

I went through what you did Mem. Read reviews... went to the store and was about 10 seconds from buying a 9800 pro. I asked the tech guy what would suit ME better as a hardcore gamer - a 9800 pro from ATI or a Geforce FX 5900 XT. I think the Geforce was just $30 less.

Now this guy said he preferred a ATI but for someone who plays a lot of games that he would HAVE to recommend the Geforce.

Now I have played a ton of games and not a SINGLE one, NWN, Morrowind, Farcry, ect have had a single issue for me. All ran beautiful, fast, and looked great. No problems with opengl, no problems with textures... nothing.
Hold on, I'm confused now...so have you got the 9800Pro or the FX5900XT?

Old 07-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #19
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

As I run multiple PC's I have an Asus V9900 FX5800 Ultra, Asus V9999 FX 6800 Ultra and Asus 9800XT. Personally I have always been a Nvidia supporter even though I didn't care too much for comparing. Both companies have their strong and weak points and where one may lack the other wins.

Anyway I find the V9999 faster than the 9800XT especially at 1600x1200 but regardless of both cards processing power, my main card is the V9900. I never play higher than 1024x768 at 32 bit with full AA and AF and I find that this card does it for me perfectly. Want to see how much it can really do? Just ask and I'll post some pics of it running Far Cry. I can post the same Picture with the other cards too and I can guarantee that you will find little to no difference in them at all. FPS rate certainly is higher with the other cards but the V9900 plays the game smoothly all the way through. Kind of a waste having the other cards really but I'm just a sucker for technology.

Considering I know you want a new card but cant decide Memnoch. You can get yourself an MSI FX5900 for about $320 here. That clocks around 5,200 on 3DMark which is 400 more than my FX5800. My 9800XT doesn't pull more than 5,800 so considering the price I wouldn't go for anything less unless you REALLY don't want to spend that much.

btw if you decide to go for something like this and can't find it within the above price range just let me know and I can get them here. I buy so many damn video cards and components every year that they love me at the computer store *L*
Old 07-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #20
Mordenheim
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Mordenheim:

Hold on, I'm confused now...so have you got the 9800Pro or the FX5900XT? [/QUOTE]I got the FX 5900 XT after the tech guy told me I would be happier with it as a hardcore gamer. He was not a big gamer and preferred the ATI. That was his opinion and I took it. I struggled with the Radeon 8500 after throwing down $300 the day it came out. I struggled once with ATI's drivers so that was all I needed to put that back on the shelf and get the 5900 XT.

I want to play games. I could care a less if one is superior on some paper or in some test that has no bearing to the games I play. I have a friend with a 9800 pro and he struggles with Bioware games such as Kotor and NWN. No thanks

I am not saying you will. I am just giving you more info to dwell on. Like I said... go to game forums and see what cards are having the problems... don't take anybodys word...