Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I received an email today, supposedly from 'Ebay' informing me that my account needed updating and that if I did not update my account, it would be suspended.

The email then provided a link for me to update my details. Upon clicking this link I was taken to a page that looked exactly like eBay's login-in and update user information page, but on a foreign server. Upon entering false login information, I was taken to a page where I was told to "update" my credit card details and submit - an obvious fraud attempt.

I've had friends who us ebay report receiving the same mail today. These fraudsters would easily be fooling hundreds of people into giving away their personal credit card numbers.

This is the link they provide in the email : http://gigi.geor.gioserve.com/cc1.html

It's scary how real it looks...I wonder how these snapperheads would take it if people just put down rubbish info and spammed them out of existence, eh...hopefully it would overload them with info so much, they'd miss out on the real credit card details that may have been entered, eh...

Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well, your first clue should be the URL... it obviously has nothing to do with Ebay...

I filled out the form with a complete mish mash of random letters, and sent it about 20 times...
Suggest you guys do the same...
Old 07-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I knew it was a fraudulent email...I've received them before from "banks" and such. I thought I'd follow it to see how it looked...and yes, I did fill in some rubbish details to confuse them. It was my good deed for the day.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

The only problem with responding to these guys is that you let them know they have a valid e-mail address. You're going to get extra crap forever.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 07-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I filled out the form with a complete mish mash of random letters, and sent it about 20 times...
Suggest you guys do the same...
Lol I wanted to propose exactly the same Now let's have some fun!
Old 07-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
The only problem with responding to these guys is that you let them know they have a valid e-mail address. You're going to get extra crap forever.
Yeah and who use their real e-mail adress anyway on things they dont trust? if it will be to spammy i delete the email adress and get a new one simple as that!

Anyway a good topic Memmy ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-10-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have something to add to this warning.

My brother-in-law tried to buy an expensive sowing machine from a lady in Britian. He paid through paypal. When the time elapsed and no machine was sent, he called her and she claimed that she no longer had a paypal account. She asked him to send a money order, which he refused. She then asked him to go to Western Union, create an account, then change the name to her name so she can withdrawl the cash...then change it back to his name again after the money was withdrawn. He refused that too, and called paypal to report her and get his money back from the account deposit. The person he spoke to said that the Western Union trick was a popular one, and that it was a scam to get him to create an account that she could have access to, even after he changed the name back.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

well, I just spammed the crap out of them, they're not picky on what you type in either.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I sent this domain name and URL to the FBI, Cyber crime division. They said they would look into it. I sent a copy to eBay's fraud alert as well.

Watch this domain disappear soon.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

me too!!
in honor of my tia who's much too trusting and woulda prolly given them anything they asked for, cuz she lives on ebay! *sigh*

V***V