Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-08-2001, 12:12 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, I finally sat down and wrote something while the board was down..but didnt' want to unravel any possible futures in the head of our Chronicler BK, so here is a vignette, if you will, a bit to hold you over til his next Chapter!

The woman in a gown of sky blue and a cloak of storm grey sat quietly on the short three-legged wooden stool. She contemplated the stark furnishings of the room for a few minutes then closed her eyes. There were wards around the room. Powerful wards. Try as she might, Cloudbringer couldn't push those wards out even a little. She sighed and rubbed her temples. Hard work, the mind magics. And the bruises she could feel in several places, including a few she'd rarely considered, had made concentration difficult. She'd known the wards would be there. But she hadn't counted on their dark strength surpassing her own capacity for clearing such things. Her captors had told her she 'd be well guarded but she'd long ago learned not to take anyone's word for things she could as easily test for herself. And Jerome, being her ArchNemesis, was certainly likely to taunt her no matter how strong or not so strong her guarding.

Sighing once again, Cloudbringer put an elbow on the table and rested her forehead on the the tips of the fingers of her left hand. Her right hand made small arcing motions and she recited the cantrip that she'd known since she could first put more than two words together. The table began to heat up. Soon a silverhot light fused it with heat and engulfed it entirely. Cloudbringer's elbow lifted ever so slightly off the table and she repeated the cantrip twice more. The glow slowly left the table and the heat soon followed. Nonetheless, the plain scarred wooden table was not the same as it had been ten minutes ago. Seated in the middle of it was a huge black cat. It yawned and stood up to stretch out, its impressive length not quite equal to that of the small table.

The Storm Queen spoke in dulcet tones to the sleek black feline. That in itself was nothing new, as Cloudbringer had a knack for talking to just about anything, including herself on occasion. The amazing thing that would have shocked any bystanders had there been some, was that the cat replied.

Cloudbringer gave the large furry creature a shaky smile. " So, Sigil! What news have you for me?"

The object of her scrutiny eyed the woman for a few seconds, then stretched again, sat down and raised a back leg to lick a spot near the back of his foot. " Bit bare in here isn't it, Chosen One? You usually surround yourself with much nicer trappings." His golden eyes blinked once at her as he continued cleaning the offending dirty spot on his foot.

"Sigil, you are, as ever, incorrigible!" Cloudbringer's smile waned a little and she poked the cat in the stomach. "You are eating too well at the castle. I think I shall send you planeswalking more often!" She winced as she moved back from the cat. The bruise she felt near her rib cage may have been from a cracked rib. She had no healing spells available in her repertoire and wasn't versed in clerical arts so she grimaced and continued her conversation with the now reclining cat. "What news from my estate? How fare my family and those who serve us?" Her eyes had gone from their usual languid blue-grey to a deeper grey.

The cat rolled on his back and proceeded to clean his tummy in a methodical and efficient manner. He raised his head to the Storm Queen once, saw her push back her hair and sit straight up . Her frosty glare in his direction didn't go unnoticed. Sigil continued cleaning but the motions were jerky and he missed several spots. His Chosen one was going to do some shouting soon, he knew the signs. He sat up as he heard her intake of air. "Very well, Chosen. I have some news, though not such as will please you, I think." He purred beneath the rumbling sound of his voice. A staccato accompaniment that was pleasing to the human ear and soothing to the StormQueen's spirit.

Watching the cat, Cloudbringer whispered to no one in particular, "Black Knight!". She tugged at the ring on her left hand. It was warm against her skin, but there was no familiar tingle, no assurance that it's mate was near. Her own scrying powers were useless with the wards in place around the room. The ties that bound her to Sigil were stronger than any ward, but she was weak from casting the spell to bring him through. Maneuvering the spatial planes in so small a place without the usual agents of aiding was no mean task. Still, Sigil would have found her on his own sooner or later. She just preferred sooner and forced the issue. Knowing the tears of fatigue and pain would fall soon, and not wanting to give in to them, she snapped, "TELL ME!" , at the purring cat.

Sigil, sat up in the classic pose of cats from time immemorial. Head held high, ears erect, tail curled around his sleek black haunches, eyes pure golden circles. "The chosen of the Chosen one comes. He gathers together those who will aid in your rescue as we speak."

"I knew he would come, my beloved would do no less! But is there no way to make him stay behind, Sigil? Tis him they want. I am but the bait in the trap." Cloudbringer sighed and looked around the room again. She pressed at the wards with every bit of concentration she could muster , but nothing stirred and she could not see past them. "Black as the pits of the nine hells, are the wards they've placed! BAH! My head hurts, Sigil. Tell me, is my sister alright?! Was anyone hurt when they took me and that hideous thing in the hooded robe?" Cloudbringer spat as she mentioned the hooded figure. A most unladylike and most unCloudbringerlike gesture. The cat hissed and reared back. Between clenched teeth, the bard said "Why must I always be in the middle of things? 'twould be wonderful to just sit on a rocky beach with my beloved knight and contemplate the ocean's waves for a few weeks!" The laugh that followed was unexpected, but Sigil recognized his friend the StormQueen in that sound.

"So, you can still laugh! Good. You had me worried. Thought you'd given up....most unlike you! Your mate is well, but very loud! Your littermate is well, but howling. She wants you back too. The big one will decide." Cloudbringer smiled again. The cat had trouble with names. Always had. He used such descriptions as 'big one' or 'littermate' to indicate her family and friends more often than not. He knew the names, just didn't use them if he didn't have to. Knowing Sigil and knowing her heart's true love, she knew he meant her consort, The Black Knight, was probably tearing the estate apart for intruders or traitors and choosing the party he'd bring to rescue her. And from the sound of it, her sister was chaffing to be part of the group. She wondered about Sir Tainly, Tobbin, KDog, Wolfgir..and all the other dear friends and retainers who were there when she was abducted. Were they ok? Did they know which way she'd been taken? Of course The Black Knight would know that it was a trap. He'd come anyway. She knew it as sure as she knew any of her collected names. Just as she knew the household was in turmoil and her sister was doing her part to help the turmoil along, in her own outspoken fashion. Cloudbringer smiled a tiny little affectionate smile, then felt one of her bruises and remembered why she was there.

"Sigil, this is not good! He must not come! They WANT him to come!" Cloudbringer slumped across the table, the tears came. "Sister! Hear me! He must not come!" Reaching one hand out to the cat, she cried out "Please, oh please! Dearest Heart's Desire, you must not fall into the trap that awaits.!" The cat purred and time slowed for the waiting occupants of the tiny warded room in the middle of nowhere.
©

Cloudbringer

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 12:51 AM   #2
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Cool Cloudy! I guess I have to go now and read BK's posts to get the *rest of the story* huh? That Sigil cat sounds like a tempered side-kick, - a bard eh, well just how good is he?

BK is my neighbor you know. . . Hi BK just dropped in to see what's up! Gonna go read some more Late,

Mammawlin
Old 05-08-2001, 12:57 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Mammawlin! (did we decide there's a shorter version of that name?! )

Yes, this is the latest piece of a Saga started by accident as postings some months back and grown over time, into quite a story!

BK has all of it in Word and can send to you if you ask nicely! Go to my Ask BK thread..teehee, Ask a few questions too, just for fun!

Yes, Sigil sort of dropped into my head one day as I drove to work...had to get him into some kind of printed work! LOL

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-08-2001, 01:07 AM   #4
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Cloudy! You can call me anything, well almost anything. LOL
How about Mammaw - as in a hillbilly grandma, that's what I am.
I will ask BK (nicely) about the story. Nice to see you!

Mammawlin

Barbarian (cousin to Mammawlin)

------------------
mammaw's know all, see all, tell nothing
Old 05-08-2001, 07:42 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

bumping for the crowd that comes in soon

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-08-2001, 11:34 AM   #6
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Bumping for Cloudy . . .

BK
Old 05-08-2001, 03:16 PM   #7
Draconia

This is really good Cloudy. I like it lots. Great Job!

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 05-08-2001, 03:27 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yay! Another Saga, brought to you by Cloudbringer! Great writing sis! Heehee "littermate"

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 07:21 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks Draconia, I was a bit crazy with no board...LOL So I wrote this after I saw Ch9.

LadyZ...er...littermate! LOLOLOLOL...purrrpurrrrmeow!

CloudWriter

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever